Used 2004 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 942 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

One of the best choices I made
By sepbone

2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one year ago at 175,000 miles and have no problems and has gotten more and more fun to drive. This is my dream car. Keep up on maintenance and you will have a great car for a long time! Thanks Honda!

V6 gives me plenty of power and acceleration. The stereo, sunroof, and look of the car gives me the all the fun I want in a car!

Perfect for the year!

Poor
By yamaha776

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Curtain Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have drove hondas before this is the worst.
I am spending more money on repairs than the value of the car. I think I am going to try a camary next.

I had issues with the front axles, airbags and the car was not in ANY accidents!! Even Honda couldnt understand it, which I think was a LIE!

Bad Paint/Clearcoat
By donthebiker

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since new.
And the paint/clear coat has deteriorated down to bare metal along much of the top surfaces of the car and is showing signs of surface rust.
I have taken this issue to Honda's Regional Manager and they are refusing to even pay for part of the repair, let alone all of it.
So now I have to decide if I want to spend $4500 (the cost of a new engine, or 10 timing belts) on a car that's worth over $10,500 (with good paint) or not.
This is my 6th Honda and may very well be my last, as I am not buying from a Manufacturer that skimps on their paint and clear coat.
This problem has been expressed by 100's and possibly 1000's of Honda owners around the world.

Fun to drive, nice body style. Gas mileage OK.

Improve paint/clearcoat quality. Brakes too sensitive (dealership says it's normal for this model). Leather durability not so great.

Glad to be back with Honda
By scottwax

2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1990 Accord for several years, sold it with 280k miles, current owner works at a tire store near me so I know it still runs! After the Accord, I had a 1999 626 and two 2002 Nissan Maximas (one an automatic, one a 6 speed). After I found out my Dad was replacing his 2004 Accord EX V6 with a truck, I offered to buy it. Only 75k miles and meticulously maintained. As much as I miss the acceleration of my 6 speed Maxima, the Accord is no slouch, runs about as well as my automatic Maxima did but with better mileage. I'm averaging 21-22 in the city (and the Dallas area has no clue how to synchronize traffic lights) and a trip to Kentucky and back got me 30.4 mpg at 75-78 mph!

The 3.0 V6 is a real jewel of an engine. Less torque than a VQ35 but noticeably stronger above 5000 rpms. Plus, while Honda doesn't advertise this, one of their engineers said that while the car was engineered to run on regular, using premium fuel allows more spark advance and you gain 10 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque. Is it worth the extra 30 cents per gallon? I think it is, at least around town. The interior is much more upscale than my Maximas, seats are better bolstered, love the huge speedometer. Fit, finish and panel gaps are excellent. Ride is a lot smoother than my Maximas but still gives you decent road feel.

The biggest thing I miss from my Maximas is the midrange torque, would have been nice if the Accord had the 3.2 from the Acura instead, even if slightly de-tuned to the 250 hp mark. Second biggest thing I miss? Factory HID headlights. Even the 8th generation Accords don't have them. Considering all of the Accords competition has at least the option of HID headlights, it just boggles my mind that they aren't available. I swapped in some Silverstar Ultra bulbs, which made a nice improvement but still not like having HIDs.

I thought Honda's were supposed to be reliable...
By melanierose10

2004 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 Honda used at 120,000 miles. It had several problems that were very expensive to fix. It was very unreliable. It broke down several times randomly - the PCM went out twice, and the EVAP solenoid needed to be replaced. Those were the most costly repairs but it seemed like once one problem was fixed the check engine light would come back on for another reason. Also, a lot of electrical problems that I never had diagnosed, the interior lights never worked and the electric locks didn't either. Other than that, however, my Honda was really fun to drive, and very fast, with lots of amenities, but I would not recommend based on reliability. Drove it to 160,000 miles then sold it.

Acceleration, gas mileage.

A transmission that shifts better (this car likes to get stuck in third when going up big hills,) better paint jobs