Used 2003 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews - 327 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

15 years and STILL Rolling
By Tee Bee

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in '03 and now has 365000 miles. I cannot remember how many times I have replaced the tires but that is it. The transmission shifts like NEW, the engine has wonderful performance for a 4-banger, the paint looks new from 10', and the leather interior is surprisingly nice and comfortable. On long trips, this is the most comfortable car I have had to sleep in. The backlight on the radio/climate system died after 10 years and Honda would not cover it, sigh. Still has the original suspension/shocks and rides like new.

Tranny problems are known, documented - stay away
By jpgillach

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't make the same mistake I did. Read this before you buy a Honda built before 2005 with a V6 and an automatic transmission - short story is they have a known transmission problem, the long story is better told here (and many other places): https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/honda-accord-transmission-problems/

Transmission problems
By Jim

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 03 Accord ExL coupe was purchased new and loved the car at first. I had major issues with the dealer fixing minor issues with the car. The vehicle was in the shop for 3 of the first 6 months Of purchase for paint issues, headliner, leaky window seals, transmission shifting problems, and dealer recalls. The quality of work from the dealer was poor at it's best, with them causing more issues with poor workmanship. I have changed oil every 3000 miles, and just turned over 98000 miles. Replaced failed struts at 50000 miles. was told it was just normal wear. Transmission went out @ 610000 ( out of warranty ) no help from Honda. Had shifting issues (2nd to 3rd gear) from day 1 but was told everything was fine. Power window motor went out around 70000. Sunroof seal leaks, headliner had to be replaced and seal replaced. Window trim around around doors and pillar was replaced by dealer at least 3 times while under warranty because the finish keeps peeling off. I ended up fixing this issue myself. Tie rods have been replaced @ 80000, brakes every 35000, rotors and calipers were just replaced because they froze up on rear. Front leather seats have cracked and I alwats kept the conditioned. I have always liked driving this car but am not sure I would buy another Honda after my experience. My father had transmission issues with his 2012 CR-V and sold it after 6000 miles when Honda Sid it was Ok.

Now over 500,000 km
By Tee Bee

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new, my first new car, and have enjoyed it immensely. Now at over 345,000 miles, it rides smooth (original struts, joints, CV, links all original), still get over 32 mpg, auto transmission shifts like new, AC blows cold, heater cranks out heat, all doors, hood, trunk lid function fit-perfect. Leather interior wears excellent, no repairs, and carpeting is in fine shape. All brake rotors are factory original. I have replaced only one rear caliper. This is probably the best car ever made in USA. I do all of my own maintenance.

Honda made a mistake in 2003...
By Mike Wilcox

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sorry but after this 2003 Honda Accord EXL v6 ( yes FULLY LOADED ) blew the transmission today after 112,000 miles, I will not buy another Honda. Honda missed the mark on the 2003 cars and we are paying for it. This one has required expensive repair around 110,000 miles including a $3500 transmission, a $2400 power steering replacement and a $3000 paint job due to peeling clearcoat. Note, other annoyances includes door lock actuator failure at about the same time. Didn't most cars fail like this, ie at 100k miles, in the 1970s? Something happened starting in 2003 to Honda quality to let these problems hit the consumer and unfortunately in our case we had to pay for the repairs.
It is a sad day, like losing a friend. Particularly, since we have three Hondas in the family. Survivors include a 2002 Accord and a 2003 CRV. The 02 Accord and 03 CRV each have over 200,000 miles on them and have had no serious problems including a rock solid original engine and transmission.
In the past, we paid more for Honda quality and expected more from Honda. In my case, we ignored the complaints against the 2003 - 2005 Hondas thinking it was a fluke, this was a bad mistake.
And sadly, you can not trust Hondas to the point where you pay more for a Honda than any of the other brand. So the morale of the story is that 'you' must add Honda to the list of vendors that you MUST use a 'buyer beware' approach. Do your homework, delay the purchase and shop around.