Used 2003 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews - 973 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Honda USED to make a superb car
By tbckc

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been a raving Honda fan since the early 90's. I finally gave up and sold my 42,000 mile, 03 Accord after a bad a/c compressor, sunroof relay, wiper motor, and drivers door lock motor.
Of course, AHMC had no interest in a goodwill claim on any of it. I'm just now reading reviews by other owners who are citing the same issues over and over. Also looks like I got out just in time to avoid the failure of a poorly engineered automatic transmission. Since the late 90s larger vehicles with more powerful engines, and attempts to make them shift without jerking have stressed Honda's unique design of an automatic. Please,
DO YOUR RESEARCH before you buy.

Pulled 34 MPG on a 816 mile trip @ speeds near 80 mpg.

Better automatic transmission. Most Honda/Acura auto's have severe transmission complaints in reviews. These transmissions cannot be truely fixed to last. They are simply rebuilt with feeble band-aids on the original design. They will continue to fail again and again.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dr. Blob

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used in 1/05 w. 16,500 miles. Car now has 108,000+. Rides and runs like it was brand new! Nothing but regular maintenance (5000 miles oil changes, trans and radiator every other year, 100,000 mile total makeover etc). I am still using the original rear brakes (the last year for the old drum style -very durable). 5 speed manual is still smooth - original clutch - no slippage or chattering. Approximately 30 mpg - mixed driving - regular gas. Everything still works - very comfortable - handles like it's on rails. Can't rave about it enough! Love it!

Incredible reliability - no repairs - only maintenance - pretty quick - smooth 5 speed manual - great gas mileage for the size of the car. This car is my buddy - I will never get rid of it.

None - wish I could clone it to have a spare just in case.

5th Accord
By Teez

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new and the only probably I have had is the Engine light came on and it was a sensor. The dealer charged $385 to fix. Just replaced the tires at 58,000 miles. The V-6 is powerful. I rented a car at the airport recently and it was 2010. Basic and when I got back in my Accord I felt that I was driving pure luxury. This is my 5th Accord

Leather heated seats, stereo.

Better fuel mileage, better paint job.

2003 Accord 2.4L LX
By michael

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2007 with 50k miles and I am now at nearly 150k with no major mechanical problems. Only work thats been done on this car is oil and transmission fluid, brakes, tires, timing belt as scheduled for mileage. I'd like to trade for something more fun to drive or better-looking every now and then but being that I drive alot for work, I cant find anything better for the price range and practicality. Its a little slow off the line but i would not say its underpowered. Transmission took to making a whirring sound just after 100k miles, which worried me as some have mentioned problems there. Since I was past warranty I just crossed my fingers and kept driving, still ok 50k later

mileage: averaged 30-33, now with yakima roof rack down to 28-30. mostly highway. Leg room: I'm 6'1" and I keep my seat cranked back and rear passengers always say they still have plenty of leg room behind me.

no 60/40 split in back seat, only small hole at armrest or you have to fold the whole seat down. Honda dealer service departments: Kept changing after nearly every visit, would only ever repeat business with one or two of the dozen I'd tried, always felt so crooked, working on commission.

Misleading
By lgrussel

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car is awesome. Comfortable, good-looking, fast and smooth. Great all around and it still beats so many newer cars. However it is deceiving because this 2003 Accord is notorious for transmission failures and I was just one of several thousands to just find out. Do your research and you'll be shocked at the mess that is still happening. Honda has known about these awful transmissions since the cars' inception. So buyer beware if you're thinking of buying one now. It will cost you half if not more of it's value today in 2010 to get this manufacturer failure fixed by you. Honda American won't help although the car has much value left.

Recall on 2003 Transmission