Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 1,298 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Accord

1,298 Total Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Good car
By Rob Abney

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good little car for daughter

I think it may run forever...
By Tom

2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a 2003 EX 2.4l automatic and now have 185,000 miles on. The car has never broken down, ever. All I do is change the oil every 5,000 miles and then about every 60,000 miles I drain/refill the transmission fluid. I have gone through a couple sets of tires, brakes, and at 100,000 miles I had the coolant drained and replaced. But that is all standard maintenance. The only thing that ever went wrong happened just a few weeks ago. There were a couple days when my A/C was intermittent and then it stopped working all together. Took it to my mechanic and was diagnosed that the A/C clutch went bad. He couldn't find a single other thing wrong with my car so I decided to spend $800 and get a new A/C compressor (with a new clutch of course!) installed. In 13 years of owning the car this is the only thing that has ever went wrong. I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment now and love the fact that I haven't had a car payment in a long time. Curious to see how long it will last but I have a feeling it will last longer then I will and I am only 35!!!

Beware of going over 100,000 miles
By Keith

2003 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had transmission issues-gasket in-between casings gone-hard to fix -costing 15-2000 dollars. Two oil leaks sprang up in engine-gaskets. I was later told Honda gaskets die after 100,000-so dam true! Other person I know had severe transmission issues in this model. Door is a issue-try and go out it goes to swing back on you. Body rot started on the panels-exhaust system rotted out-same right tail light went out 6 times in a few years. Nightmare. Please look at the later models first. This 2003 was a Bust!

AVOID HONDAs - ENGINE RUNS BUT OUTSIDE ROTS AWAY
By HondaOwnerNOmore

2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am shopping for a new car but will NEVER buy another vehicle made by HONDA. I purchased my car new in 2003 and had it service by Honda; however, no one ever mentioned why my car was starting to look 'splotchy.' As the splotchiness got worse and worse, I searched online and found out that HONDA has a KNOWN PAINT DEFECT and refuses to acknowledge it and has even fought consumer in court using technicalities to get cases thrown out. SHAME on HONDA. When I finally understood what was happening, my HONDA ACCORD was just out to warrantly and I asked the HONDA service manager "why did you never tell me that this was happening to the paint since it is a KNOWN issue.' The HONDA service manager got mad at me !!!! I never went back and, now, that I am searching for a new car, I tell everyone that I will NEVER even consider another HONDA vehicle and I tell everyone WHY. This is my payback to HONDA for treating their customers so poorly by knowing that they sold defective merchandise then not acknowledging it and fixing it at their cost. Again, SHAME on HONDA. Personally, I recommend staying away from Honda vehicles since what good is a car that runs but rots from the outside?

Our Experience
By Ty

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a car that I insisted my friend should get after her first lemon of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Turns out that this Accord makes that lemon look heaven-sent. It's a shame because I drive a 2000 Honda Accord with over 210,000 miles. The suspension rattles and clunks, the engine burns oil, but it runs well otherwise and hasn't given me any major issues. The 2003 Honda Accord that my friend got has just 79,000 miles. The ride is infinitely better, the seats are much more comfortable, and the car is all around a significant improvement from the previous model. However, the number of issues that the 2003 Accord has way outnumbers my own Accord just 3 years older. The transmission is absolutely garbage. This car has left us on the side of the road outside of Vegas in the middle of the summer with an overheated transmission, pouring fluid all over the side of the freeway. After getting one part of the transmission fixed, it started to shift hard. The tail light switch failed and started killing the battery, which I had to fix on my own to save some money. The AC would only blow cold air through one half of the car. The list of issues go on. All in all, as much as I love this car, the quality of the mechanical components is incredibly bad. A car that I told my friend would be reliable and problem-free has been anything but. CarComplaints.com rates this car as the second worst car to purchase and suggests "avoiding this model year like the plague." Boy were they right. Be careful when thinking about buying a 2003 Honda Accord. As much as I love this car, I hate it just as much.