Used 2002 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 378 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

129,000 miles - never a big problem
By chris082087

2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used from a dealer in 08 at 93,000 miles. While I owned the car, it was maintained well.
I had the oil changed every 3-5k. I had the timing belt and plugs changed at the 120k mark ($900ish). I never had a problem, and I drove the car pretty hard. I ended up getting T-boned around 129k and the car was totaled... Every few months, something would come-up (vibration, check engine light, funny engine sound), but it always turned out to be minor and I don't think I ever spent more than $100 each I took it into the shop for any of those problems.

I neglected to change the oil after about 4.5k and the car refuse to accelerate past 2.5k rpms.. not being a car person, I was really worried that the engine was seriously damaged. I took it in to Honda and had it checked out... As it turns out, the car was doing exactly what it was designed to do. It's computer was designed to prevent a lack of oil from causing serious damage. Honda changed the oil, reset the computer, and sent me on my way for less than $100. It was back to normal after that..

77K Dealer Maintained, Bad Transmission
By thx123

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Clearly this model's transmission has a design flaw. So many transmission failures at 70k mileage. I used to believe that people can drive a Honda and not worry about any major problem before 100K. It's certainly not the case for us, though our Accord has always been dealership maintained.

My Honda dealer first asked us to spend nearly $1k to replace two broken engine mounts, then told us the transmission still needs to be replaced, and would cost another $4,6K, which is comparable to the kbb's used car price.

It's a class action law suit waiting to happen. I think we've got enough people just from this review page. Honda, please take this issue seriously, don't try to hide from it.

Reliability (used to be), not any more.

Honda, be an honest car maker so people can follow.

Transmission
By Red King

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Made it to 126K, the transmission started slipping and a few months later thats all she wrote. The lights began to flash (engine, maint, and the D). Brought it to an honest transmission repair shop and he told me it was JUNK. $2000. to $2500. to rebuild it, 6 weeks before replaced timing belt, balance belt, water pump, sway bar bushing, plugs, transmission seal between engine $$$. Was a 3 Honda family not again. Thanks Honda

Fantastic Car
By crashrecovery

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best built, most reliable car I have ever owned. Replaced front brakes once, 2 batteries, 2 sets of tires, upgraded plugs to e3 and wires to Granatelli MPG+ 8 mm and installed a K&N filter in the factory air box. I've done oil changes every 3000 miles and just recent;y changed the trans fluid. Now it isn't a sports car, but it wasn't built to be. If that's what you want, get something else. The minor upgrades (< $225) have increased my fuel economy to 27 mpg! Any car with 100,000mi that runs this good and gets 27 mpg is a great ride!

Low cost of ownership (if properly maintained).

Soften up the seats. Little larger side bolsters.

Yep you guessed it
By Michael

2002 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bad Transmission. I was luckier than most. I made it to 150,000 before the dreaded check engine light came on. Other than the transmission and possum in my air intake, the car has been a great commuter. Where is the recall on this, Honda?