Used 2002 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 377 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Cracked engine block
By exhondafan2

2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the past 15 years, I’ve been a fan of Honda. In 2001, I bought a brand new Honda Accord and took meticulous care of the car. While there were moments of spirited driving, there was never any abuse of the engine.

After just 103,000 miles, the vehicle was diagnosed with a cracked engine block. Honda initially refused to participate in any repairs. However, after extensive discussions with Honda, they offered 1,500 in a 7,000 repair.

Needless to say, for a car that’s supposedly legendary in terms of reliability, I’m disappointed in the quality of the car and Honda’s response.

Given the poor quality of the product and the lack of customer service, I will never buy a Honda again.

-Great interior design and layout -Solid all-around performance until the engine block cracked

-An engine block that does not crack -Decent customer service

Wish it was better
By davis262

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car starting at 40k miles.
Seemed to be like other Honda Accords I have owned in the past (89, 98).
I didn't realize at first how bad the transmission was because I was excited to have the power from the v6.
Transmission was jerky from the beginning. I hated it.
Worst driving experience I've ever had. Never knew when it would accelerate.
I love Honda but they lost me as a customer with this transmission.
I was lucky and the car was totalled at 118k from hail damage.
I know the transmission was going out soon.
Also, the dash was squeaky. The 6 CD changer broke at around 80k.
The dashboard clock was replaced.
Not the quality I had grown to expect from Honda.

Lots of cubby space for things. Sunroof is very nice. Feels solid while on the freeway. I like the outside design of this generation but the inside is boring to me.

Too late now.

UNSATISFIED!!!!!!
By marceladgomez

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My first car was a 1996 Honda Civic with manuel transmission LOVED it I only had to replace the clutch. Well needless to say it got recked so I decided to buy another Honda but this one is a 2002 Accord. I didn't start having proplems, real problems until abour 120,000 miles and im seeing that that i pretty good compared to what i've been reading. Now the trany is slipping and they want about 3,000 dollars to replace and the car is now only worth about $5,000. I think this is redic. I thought Hondas were suppose to las for ever. I mean it's a Honda. I guess not.

I think my only favorite features are the shape of the body and the space and room inside.

Honda needs to take responsibility in knowing that there tranys are bad for those modle and the years between 1999 to 2002. Not Good Honda!!!!

Bad transmissions
By rmars1

2002 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Starting at 35K I serviced the transmission every 15k at the dealers recommendation. About three years ago while the car was still in warranty I complained to the dealer about the car shifting had and jerking at stops when cold, the dealer said that was normal and didn't write it on the service ticket and said it was almost due for a trans fluid service.
Now the transmission is lurching at stops and stalling in intersections. Honda has offered very little in the way of assistance and jacks up to price of the replacement transmission to compensate. Essentially they make you do an abnormal amount of costly service to keep their defective transmission working while in warranty.

The cost of regular service keeps your wallet light thereby reducing strain on your knees but the cost of replacing the transmission will make you almost weightless.

A transmission that last more than 98K miles and possibly standing behind the mirage that is Honda service and quality.

129,000 miles - never a big problem
By chris082087

2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used from a dealer in 08 at 93,000 miles. While I owned the car, it was maintained well.
I had the oil changed every 3-5k. I had the timing belt and plugs changed at the 120k mark ($900ish). I never had a problem, and I drove the car pretty hard. I ended up getting T-boned around 129k and the car was totaled... Every few months, something would come-up (vibration, check engine light, funny engine sound), but it always turned out to be minor and I don't think I ever spent more than $100 each I took it into the shop for any of those problems.

I neglected to change the oil after about 4.5k and the car refuse to accelerate past 2.5k rpms.. not being a car person, I was really worried that the engine was seriously damaged. I took it in to Honda and had it checked out... As it turns out, the car was doing exactly what it was designed to do. It's computer was designed to prevent a lack of oil from causing serious damage. Honda changed the oil, reset the computer, and sent me on my way for less than $100. It was back to normal after that..