Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

My '99 Accord V6 Coupe
By Tim

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

My family has owned many Hondas, all of which have been very low maintaining vehicles, except for a big problem in my '99 transmission. The car used to be my moms. She had to replace the tranny at just below 100,000. Very disappointing coming from Honda, one of the most reliable manufacturers out there and way above German and American made cars. Now at almost 170,000 miles and up to that I've been noticing the transmission problems again, and just today it went totally out of gear, and then back in after I jabbed the gas a few times about three seconds later. Not been a fun experience driving in fear with this car... possible my driving habits don't help it either.

It's looks, I have the factory body kit and the fog lights, and I love the engine, and for it being almost ten years old, it's a fairly impressive V6 for it's age. To add to the Review above... I'd definitely own another Honda, just not one from the years 98- 02 as many have had my same problems.

Tranny

In my opinion - The best car ever built.
By Corey In ATL

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I have had the car a total of 10 years this fall. I have had the brakes replaced 2 times since I bought the car, I've had the timing belt changed on its scheduled 125,000 mile maintenance, the alternator had to be replaced at 40,000 because of the faulty manufacturer (Honda did not warranty this part.). I have had a lot of worry free driving for many years. I am in the market for a new car but i will be keeping my Honda for as long as it has wheels. I drive this vehicle 500+ miles to Arkansas from Georgia every other month and have felt very confident that I will arrive safely in a car with over 150,000 miles and counting. I am very pleased with this car.

My favorite features are the looks. I see other Accord Coupes pass me on the street and notice that is a great looking car, it was designed to perfection from the outside. The overhangs aren't too low that they drag, the rims are clean and built well the lines and curves are worth mentioning too

I don't know if they could improve on this car. It's already a great car. Something I'd like to see from Honda as a whole is a longer Warranty. Just to back the fact that they are the quality leaders in the industry.

1999 Honda Accord EX- Do not buy
By Paul

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX under the belief that Hondas were reliable. The car has 83K miles and the transmission slips and oil is leaking into the coolant. I will probably have to replace the engine and transmission. I have contacted Honda who are unwilling to help out. This is my third and last Honda. I mention this issue to others so they do not go through a similar experience.

Honda will not admit that they have a problem with their transmissions after multiple calls to Honda Corporate Customer Service. I strongly suggest not to buy this vehicle.

A Cracked Engine Head at 107,000 Miles!
By Linda

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love(d) my Accord EX 4 dr. sedan.It was the funnest car I ever drove! It cornered great,it was peppy, reliable. I had the recommended timing belt maintenance done at 105,000 miles, also an oxygen sensor blew then too. Spent $1,000 on that preventive maintenance, only to have my engine head crack at 107,000 miles! I had no warning, no difference driving, but oil and antifreeze were mixing and the liquid looked like mud!! The pressure blew and popped a radiator hose just 4 months later. Cracked engine &I need a used engine put in for $2750, NOT! Needless to say, I am very disappointed and plan to write Honda to demand an answer as to why this would happen on their #1 product-cars

Loved the cornering! Nothing can compare! Just a fun car to drive and I had a 4 cyl and could accelerate like a 6 cylinder! Wide, big windshield! Loved it!

Research Honda's...Transmission problem
By Honda99

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the vehicle at 84,000 and thought that Honda goes forever. Did regular service at 85,000. Water pump, timing belt, drive belts, a/c belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, pretty much a good tune up. But to my surprise I noticed and was told by my mech. that I should have researched before buying this accord as it has manufacturing problems with Transmission. It's not even 100K and the transmission is slipping. When you take off, it hesitates from gear 1 to 2. And when you stop, it gives a little jerk before stopping. This is known issue with Honda (98-02). So, research before you buy it.

Transmission