Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Ain't No BMW
By Fudbutter

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car was delivered new in July 1999. After 9 years and 139,000 miles it has proved to be reliable to get us from point A to point B consistently, but over that time, the cruise control conked out and she leaks oil (About a quart a fill up) despite diligent maintenance. The body has a bit of rust and many nasty door dings. Other than that, no major issues. Brakes and timing belt have already been replaced but tranny has showed no issues. It is used as a the car to get us to the city, airports or anyplace we would be uncomfortable taking our precious roadster. All in all, it hasn't been the "bulletproof" transportation that it was supposed to be, but it has never left us stranded.

Basic transportation. Park it anywhere. Makes our other car seem faster and much more fun to drive.

'99 car that has been improved in 3 subsequent generations but is now way too big

99 Accord LX V6
By Krishna Prasad

1999 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord in 99. I have clocked 113K so far. While the car has generally been low maintenance, the transmission had to be replaced at 102K. After reading the comments, looks like transmission has been a problem on 99-03 edition. And now the rack and pinion assembly needs to be replaced. Has anybody faced this problem? Brake rotors and power steering pump were replaced too. I guess after 100K, there is no escaping from frequent maintenance expenses. But the engine and performance is still impressive. I do 60 miles round trip daily and the drive is very comfortable with the V6 notwithstanding the $4 gas. I hope to get it to at least 125K without much expense

V6 - great engine, and build

The latest models are a big leap from what I had

Excellent car until transmission goes
By Nathan

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

We have loved this car-, early perfect reliability and fine performance. Could be more comfortable, but that was a small price to pay for perfect performance over 8 years. The transmission is gone, though, and the timing belt needs to be replaced. The complete repair/maintenance bill is going to run around 3000 or more. The car has basically lost all its value in 9 years. So the value could be better.

vtech, handling.

transmission

1999 Honda Accord
By Bob Kilmon

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car for 8 years now, and I'm gonna trade in for a Lexus. Overall, I think this is a pretty reliable car except for the fact that most Accords I've see have a transmission problem. However, the design is really nice, and fuel economy is great, but I would recommend researching Honda's transmission problems (98-03) before buying this car. We've had our transmission fixed twice, which cost 7k, so we decided to trade in.

Leather is really comfortable, nice design and good fuel eco.

Fix your transmission problems~although I think that the newer models have been improved.

Don't Believe the Hype!
By AJ Foster

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2nd accord over 3 years ago with 90k miles on it. My first '92 accord had nearly 200k and the only problem was w/ the cruise control and a rough transmission. My '99 has a faulty transmission that's slipping as well, the lights in my dash dim periodically, cruise control doesn't work AT ALL, the auto locks in my rear doors are now manual, I need new ball joints, i had to purchase an extended warranty for my battery b/c it continuously dies. I must admit that as I am approaching 175k, that car still starts without a glitch, but the "quality" that Honda is expected to have mastered is only hype. This is the 4th Honda my family has had, and the 4th one with transmission issues.

radio controls on the dash, lasting style, handling.

TRANSMISSION, road/wind noise, lower bucket seats (I'm 5'11" and even at the lowest setting, I still feel like my heads touching the ceiling)