Used 1999 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

1999 Honda Accord EX- Do not buy
By Paul

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX under the belief that Hondas were reliable. The car has 83K miles and the transmission slips and oil is leaking into the coolant. I will probably have to replace the engine and transmission. I have contacted Honda who are unwilling to help out. This is my third and last Honda. I mention this issue to others so they do not go through a similar experience.

Honda will not admit that they have a problem with their transmissions after multiple calls to Honda Corporate Customer Service. I strongly suggest not to buy this vehicle.

A Cracked Engine Head at 107,000 Miles!
By Linda

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love(d) my Accord EX 4 dr. sedan.It was the funnest car I ever drove! It cornered great,it was peppy, reliable. I had the recommended timing belt maintenance done at 105,000 miles, also an oxygen sensor blew then too. Spent $1,000 on that preventive maintenance, only to have my engine head crack at 107,000 miles! I had no warning, no difference driving, but oil and antifreeze were mixing and the liquid looked like mud!! The pressure blew and popped a radiator hose just 4 months later. Cracked engine &I need a used engine put in for $2750, NOT! Needless to say, I am very disappointed and plan to write Honda to demand an answer as to why this would happen on their #1 product-cars

Loved the cornering! Nothing can compare! Just a fun car to drive and I had a 4 cyl and could accelerate like a 6 cylinder! Wide, big windshield! Loved it!

Research Honda's...Transmission problem
By Honda99

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the vehicle at 84,000 and thought that Honda goes forever. Did regular service at 85,000. Water pump, timing belt, drive belts, a/c belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, pretty much a good tune up. But to my surprise I noticed and was told by my mech. that I should have researched before buying this accord as it has manufacturing problems with Transmission. It's not even 100K and the transmission is slipping. When you take off, it hesitates from gear 1 to 2. And when you stop, it gives a little jerk before stopping. This is known issue with Honda (98-02). So, research before you buy it.

Transmission

One of the world's most reliable cars
By Jeff

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

1999 4i 5MT Accord LX manufactured in Japan (Saitama, IIRC). The only thing that's broken in 9 years is the windshield. It's for all intents as- new, and gets 32ish mpg in mixed driving, which makes it tough to trade in for something "better". As a used vehicle, a well-maintained Accord is about as good as it gets.

Reliability, still fresh styling, adequate performance, excellent gas mileage.

Upgrading wheels/tires to non-standard size and offset will adversely effect steering. Brakes are disc/drum w/o anti-lock.

Honda outperforms similar Japanese Maker
By CJ

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned a model year Nissan Altima, a Toyota Camry V6 and the Honda Accord. While I thought the Camry would be my favorite (the Altima was a disaster and traded within one year) after 4 years and 107,000 miles it was in need of serious mechanical attention and was traded. The Accord, however has 137,000 miles and has been the most reliable and required the least maintenance. In fact, it's only been in the shop twice over these past 8 years, once for ignition and once for clutch (just recently).

I have a spoiler, and the body style is still attractive and "current" after eight years.

Next time I'll go for the automatic with a V6.