Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Overall a good car
By Chris

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I wanted Honda reliability but was a little disappointed, overall a very good car though. Two guys I worked with have 98's (the year this version was redesigned), while they have a lot more miles, I used that as a gauge of problems I could expect. Alternator and battery failed at only 35K miles ($700) which I thought was pretty bad and it needed brakes prematurely soon after that, but that's been about it - almost 10 years old, needs new motor mount but no other repair issues. It's powerful, fairly quiet, agile, excellent handling and braking. Gas mileage drops al lot if you go 70+ MPH. The clear coat finish on the wheels is wearing a little prematurely being in FL most its life.

Honda V6s purr like kittens, Sunroof, 6 way power seat, AC/Heat blower is excellent., and the AC is still going strong - mj. improvement over Detroit brands.

Driver seat leather is wearing faster than it should; armrest and console should have been sturdier, and maybe a better alternator. Transmission while reliable should shift with more firmness, it's a little soft.

Most reliable car I've ever owned
By Al

1999 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Got this my car back in 2002 w/ 24,000 miles. Now it has over 80k and I'm amazed how reliable this car is. Aside from the required maintenance, the only problems I had is changing the light bulbs, squeaky shocks on the front driver, & annoying rattles in the trunk. That is it, I bought a 5spd so I have non of those trans problems. Thinking of getting a new car, but cant really part w/ my reliable Honda.

Efficient interior ergonomics.

Relocate odd sunroof switch, better driver seat design-not the most comfortable, low torque-requires constant shifting.

Beyond Reliability
By John

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car in 2001 because my car died "literally" at the dealership. I am so glad I picked this car. It has been the best car I have ever owned. No problems. Change the oil, put gas in, & change the tires. That's all you need to do. I have never had any problems. It even takes the abuse of my wife's driving :).

Quality, Quality, Quality... My favorite feature is the security of knowing I am driving a safe reliable car and I will not be left stranded. There are so many different cars to choose but if you need a car that will give you more then what you put in then Honda Accord would be your choice.

I would improve on the style and features but don't compromise on quality.

185K and still going
By Meyer

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Best build quality of any vehicle hands down. Change the oil every 5k and no problems. 1 timing belt at 100K, and new ac compressor. Just keeps going and going.

None

Great Car!
By Dan

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My parents purchased this vehicle new in August 1999, and it became mine in summer 2008, with 145K on the ticker. It now has 155K and has been dead reliable. Needed a clutch at 118K, ball joints and an ignition a year ago, and various wear items. Only non-wear items that have gone are the backlight for the clock, the left rear window switch in that door (still works from driver's door), and the green LED in the main cruise control switch. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat but will hold onto this one for a while, until I can afford a six-speed Acura TL in a few years.

Peppy VTEC engine, slick manual transmission, very enjoyable to drive, ergonomically perfect, A/C's never given out, great seats, kickin' stereo for a factory system (and this is for the LX's 4 speaker unit), bulletproof quality and reliability.

Folding rear seat doesn't split unless you get the coupe, ABS only available on LX if you get automatic (if I bought the car new, it'd have been a deal breaker), keyless entry would've been nice on the LX, standard tires stink (loud and no grip), could be a little quieter. Otherwise, no gripes!