Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great for 8 years
By New Orleans

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 15000 miles on it (basically new) - I have to say this was the best car purchase I made to this point - possibly because I had owned some lemons previously. Low maintenance, great highway performance. The V-tech engine is such a great feature - until the v-tech engine started having problems - and only a dealership could fix them. Started having tranny problems after the 8th year. I had it rebuilt and still had problems. Honda wanted between $3 & 4K to fix it - at the time it was only worth that much. Friend of mine is having tranny probs on her 2003 Accord so I am a little leery of them now. Am trading it for a Mazda 3 - we'll see how that goes.

The V-tech engine - allows you to drive low speeds in town and high speeds on highway with no shifting problems. Great interior - quality fabrics - fabric overhead never sagged.

Transmission failure at 7 & 8 years is a little soon for a car with such a strong reliability reputation and pricing.

Honda quality
By chuck

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My 1999 accord quality and reliability is so bad that I am convinced Honda is misleading the customers on their claim on reliability. Through this review, I would like to point out a flaw, either in the design or the manufacturing process, of the 1999 model year Honda Accord engine. The cylinder #3 valve melted out and blew a hole in it while driving on the highway. The mileage on the car was only about 105K. Honda dealers, and Honda H.Q. refused to honor any claims since the mileage is over 80K.

Improve the reliability of the engine.

Picked the right "Honda"
By OVERBOOST

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe V6 in Apr 09 with 184,786 miles on it. The CarFax was downloaded on the website. Went to check it out. The engine was in great shape not "DOGGED" like most. Belts and chain replaced. No Tranny work done. But I can expect it to happen with this model. So I just go purchase a good warranty packet no big deal. This Honda is a great car. A drivers car not a "RACE CAR" Stop crying and face the facts. Normal maintenance, wear and tear. You cannot beat it.

Very comfortable ride and I am a 6' 8in 242lbs guy. The mileage is great after you drop a K&N air filter in it. Love all the power options. And the "WOMEN" love a two door.

The stereo system is terrible. Can you at least use quality speakers. A stiffer sway bar should be standard. And please put 17 inch tires standard on all Honda models - that will help sales big time.

Overall a good car
By Chris

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I wanted Honda reliability but was a little disappointed, overall a very good car though. Two guys I worked with have 98's (the year this version was redesigned), while they have a lot more miles, I used that as a gauge of problems I could expect. Alternator and battery failed at only 35K miles ($700) which I thought was pretty bad and it needed brakes prematurely soon after that, but that's been about it - almost 10 years old, needs new motor mount but no other repair issues. It's powerful, fairly quiet, agile, excellent handling and braking. Gas mileage drops al lot if you go 70+ MPH. The clear coat finish on the wheels is wearing a little prematurely being in FL most its life.

Honda V6s purr like kittens, Sunroof, 6 way power seat, AC/Heat blower is excellent., and the AC is still going strong - mj. improvement over Detroit brands.

Driver seat leather is wearing faster than it should; armrest and console should have been sturdier, and maybe a better alternator. Transmission while reliable should shift with more firmness, it's a little soft.

Most reliable car I've ever owned
By Al

1999 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Got this my car back in 2002 w/ 24,000 miles. Now it has over 80k and I'm amazed how reliable this car is. Aside from the required maintenance, the only problems I had is changing the light bulbs, squeaky shocks on the front driver, & annoying rattles in the trunk. That is it, I bought a 5spd so I have non of those trans problems. Thinking of getting a new car, but cant really part w/ my reliable Honda.

Efficient interior ergonomics.

Relocate odd sunroof switch, better driver seat design-not the most comfortable, low torque-requires constant shifting.