Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great car- 110,000 miles and counting
By mark-pa

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought new summer 98 w/ 4 cyl w/ 5 spd manual. Had rear wheel bearings replaced at 37K; warranty covered. Replaced timing belt and water pump at 90K, battery at 105K - no problems, but preventative. New cat converter at 110,000. Beware- nearly a grand for this one. Overall, a very dependable, classy looking car at a reasonable price. Handles well with right tires. The 5 speed manual compensates for the lower powered 4 cyl engine. But 30+ mpg highway more than makes up for the lower power. Keep the oil changed regularly- it should run to 200k plus- know people who have done it.I bought based on Honda reputation, and would buy Honda again.

Interior styling, seats nice. Very solid feel for the road, great in the snow. GREAT trunk space and fold down rear seat access.

Interior plastic trim and parts get brittle- visor clip, fan knob, center consold lid locking tab, etc- and break off.

My Honda
By KK

1998 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

Great car, Boring. All I do is change the oil and meet maint. parameters. Strong runner, very reliable. 90k on brakes,, 85k on orig. tires. Looks and runs like new. Currently own 3 accords, 90,98 & 01. all great cars. Would I buy another "YES".

Very Reliable Car
By Kyaw Naing

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've owned Honda Accords for 15 years and I'm on my 5th Accord. They all were good cars (except the very 1st 1979). I sold my 2nd Accord at 200K miles. The 98 Accord by far the best car. It has about 120K miles and has been very reliable. Still drives like new. There was no major mechanical problem so far. However, I had occasional check engine warnings mostly from a few bad oxygen sensors. I took those warnings seriously when the car was new. But lately, I just ignored them. To my surprise the warnings just disappeared by themselves. Just hoping that the car will quit on me soon so that I've an excuse to buy a new one. But seems like, it'll be another 10yrs for me to get a new car!

Great handling at high-speed. Feel 80mph at 100mph. Very reliable.

Slow take-off (for 4 cylinders with auto-transmission). Not much fun to drive.

Good Car with Some Problems
By ajc

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

A previous posting here regarding the ERG system and the transmission led me to write this review. I also have experienced these problems and both were covered under warranty (7 year, 100,000 Limited Powertrain on the transmission). Honda knows about the these problems and will help on these items. They have extended the warranty on the ERG and will participate in the repairs on the transmission even after the warranty expires. I recommend taking the car to the dealership for diagnosis and then calling Honda customer service. All things considered, this has been a reliable car and fun to drive.

Power, interior design.

transmission

Not as Reliabe as I thought
By STLbill7982

1998 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this '98 from my sister this September. I am disappointed with what I thought would be a reliable car. The car vibrates a lot at idle - it almost feels like a massage chair from the Sharper Image. The 'check engine' light never turns off, even though the dealer assured me nothing is wrong. The car is noisy relative to GM cars that I have owned in the past. The rims make contact with curbs before the tires do, and as a result the rims are very scratched. The engine has littel power - sometimes I feel like I could get out and run faster.

Fuel mileage is superb.

Other Honda owners said Hondas are reliabe - I think they're giving Honda more credibility than they deserve. They've put their fair share of lemons on the road.