Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 212 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Disappointed
By Karl

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first Honda -- after owning a Nissan, Mazda and VW. I was expecting legendary reliability. Bought as a certified car with 40,000 miles on it. Now have 100,000. Not used to having things go wrong on the cars I own. Am probably spending in the neighborhood of $100 a month on repairs (seems like every 3-4 months it costs me about $300-$400). Probably won't buy a Honda again. My Nissans, Mazda's and VW's were much more reliable.

interior space, trunk space, back seat space, 4cylinder engine gives adequate power and good gas mileage

reliability

Excellent choice
By cl8855

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car I bought myself 7 years ago. Choices were things like the Nissan Maxima, Volkswagen Passat, Chevy Malibu and the Accord. Boy am I glad I chose this one. Reasons for purchase were #1 reliability, #2 fit and finish, #3 good pricing (cheaper than both Passat and Maxima). Over the years I have replaced only the tires and the brakes in 75000 miles. Not once have I had to bring it in to the shop for any reason other than standard maintenance. Plan on keeping this car for another 7 yrs/75000 miles for sure.

Reliability, fit/finish, good pickup even for 4 cyl.

Better gas mileage. Better positioning of seat belts in back seat (with Child seat in middle, hard to get at the seat belts on the side, even though there is room to sit.

Look for another car
By CBaker

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

Tranmission replaced at 56,000. Tranmission going out again at 85,000. This will be 2nd tranmission in under 100,000 miles. Not reliable. Failed emissions test the first year I had it due to recall. Poor Honda customer service. This car is a money pit.

World's greatest-150k and running
By Honda4Life

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

I am on my second Honda, over 150K. I had an 84 Accord in high school, and I know I would own a new one post graduation. I've driven Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Nissan.... Dont compare, dont compete!! Love my Honda, plan to get SUV or Ridgeline in near future. Classy car for a single mom with boys. They cant wait to sport it. Honda, please give me more power, maybe a V8? Otherwise, LOVE LOVE LOVE my HONDA! replaced EGR valve and 2 motormounts, 2 recalls on ignition switch, and I still love it, glad I went with coupe instead of sedan (due to transmission issues I was warned of by Honda Technicians)

stylish sporty body, very reliable, beautiful all around

V8 baby!! Better looking factory hubs/rims, NO MORE CASSETTE PLAYERS--- EVER!!!

Comfortable / Reliable cruiser
By Ed

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my father in law with 80k miles on it. For the most part it has not failed to meet my high expectations for a Honda . I have had brake work and wheel bearings replaced, but that is expected in NY after 7 winters. Only other problem was a burned out alternator at 120k. Other than that, has never has a problem during the past 3 years, and I am hard on my cars. The odometer currently reads 132,000 and my goal is to hit 200k. I also own a 2004 accord, same model, and that is the only reason my ratings for this car are not higher. The newest model is a huge step forward in overall refinement. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong purchasing a honda.

3.0 liter v-tec, 6-cd changer

illuminated steering-wheel controls, switch for sunroof should be one-touch, instead of hold-down, 5-speed manual with the v-6