Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

World's greatest-150k and running
By Honda4Life

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

I am on my second Honda, over 150K. I had an 84 Accord in high school, and I know I would own a new one post graduation. I've driven Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Nissan.... Dont compare, dont compete!! Love my Honda, plan to get SUV or Ridgeline in near future. Classy car for a single mom with boys. They cant wait to sport it. Honda, please give me more power, maybe a V8? Otherwise, LOVE LOVE LOVE my HONDA! replaced EGR valve and 2 motormounts, 2 recalls on ignition switch, and I still love it, glad I went with coupe instead of sedan (due to transmission issues I was warned of by Honda Technicians)

stylish sporty body, very reliable, beautiful all around

V8 baby!! Better looking factory hubs/rims, NO MORE CASSETTE PLAYERS--- EVER!!!

Comfortable / Reliable cruiser
By Ed

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my father in law with 80k miles on it. For the most part it has not failed to meet my high expectations for a Honda . I have had brake work and wheel bearings replaced, but that is expected in NY after 7 winters. Only other problem was a burned out alternator at 120k. Other than that, has never has a problem during the past 3 years, and I am hard on my cars. The odometer currently reads 132,000 and my goal is to hit 200k. I also own a 2004 accord, same model, and that is the only reason my ratings for this car are not higher. The newest model is a huge step forward in overall refinement. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong purchasing a honda.

3.0 liter v-tec, 6-cd changer

illuminated steering-wheel controls, switch for sunroof should be one-touch, instead of hold-down, 5-speed manual with the v-6

It's Pretty Good
By big boy

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

The car has good acceleration and handling. Automatic gear changes are a little harsh. Cruise control accelaration has too much response. The driver seat comfort needs improvement. Car looks good and has never left me stranded. The ERG device clogged several times which cost me but overall it's been a good car through 150,000 miles. No recurring problems aside from (3) ERG problems.

Looks good, reliable, enviromental comfort controls are great. Spacious trunk. sporty yet conservative. Interior is looking good and user friendly.

Fix the driver seat comfort! The lumbar adjustment is useless. Offer free diagnostic when the check engine light comes on; as it is sometimes caused by air during gas fill ups - even when the cap is closed tightly after the fill up!

The best car ever!
By Steven Mark

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderful. It has 101,000 miles and it still has the best pickup even with a v4 engine with 164 Horsepower and it has a very quiet engine except for a little road noise and a little bit of noise but nothing big at all. The ride is as good as an Acura and almost as good as a Toyota Avalon or a Toyota Camry. It is a better ride then the Mercury Grand Marquis or Mercury Sable or Ford Taurus or Focus. The Accord has the best seats, radio, and cd player

High quality cd player, very reliable, very smooth ride, good tires in wet conditions, very good cd player/ radio stereo, very good quality, features, and value.

Nothing except v4 could use more horsepower but it's too late now.

Don't Buy Accord V6
By lofosuad

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

On 4/16/98 I purchased my second Honda, an accord EX V6. On 2/12/99 I replaced the transmission computer, under warranty. On 5/19/00 there was a recall. At 100K after first engine tune-up, the alternator dies $275. A few weeks later the transmission goes out $3100, then the check engine light comes on, something about EGR valve $500. The check engine is back on again; all this on top of expensive maintenance costs. The car has 109K miles on it, I am thinking about selling it. My advice to you is don't buy the accord V6 at least not the 98-01 model it was designed to break down. My girl friend has similar problems with 98 LX

I can't think of anything good to say today

Transmission