Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Don't Buy Accord V6
By lofosuad

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

On 4/16/98 I purchased my second Honda, an accord EX V6. On 2/12/99 I replaced the transmission computer, under warranty. On 5/19/00 there was a recall. At 100K after first engine tune-up, the alternator dies $275. A few weeks later the transmission goes out $3100, then the check engine light comes on, something about EGR valve $500. The check engine is back on again; all this on top of expensive maintenance costs. The car has 109K miles on it, I am thinking about selling it. My advice to you is don't buy the accord V6 at least not the 98-01 model it was designed to break down. My girl friend has similar problems with 98 LX

I can't think of anything good to say today

Transmission

Great car- 110,000 miles and counting
By mark-pa

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought new summer 98 w/ 4 cyl w/ 5 spd manual. Had rear wheel bearings replaced at 37K; warranty covered. Replaced timing belt and water pump at 90K, battery at 105K - no problems, but preventative. New cat converter at 110,000. Beware- nearly a grand for this one. Overall, a very dependable, classy looking car at a reasonable price. Handles well with right tires. The 5 speed manual compensates for the lower powered 4 cyl engine. But 30+ mpg highway more than makes up for the lower power. Keep the oil changed regularly- it should run to 200k plus- know people who have done it.I bought based on Honda reputation, and would buy Honda again.

Interior styling, seats nice. Very solid feel for the road, great in the snow. GREAT trunk space and fold down rear seat access.

Interior plastic trim and parts get brittle- visor clip, fan knob, center consold lid locking tab, etc- and break off.

Very Reliable Car
By Kyaw Naing

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've owned Honda Accords for 15 years and I'm on my 5th Accord. They all were good cars (except the very 1st 1979). I sold my 2nd Accord at 200K miles. The 98 Accord by far the best car. It has about 120K miles and has been very reliable. Still drives like new. There was no major mechanical problem so far. However, I had occasional check engine warnings mostly from a few bad oxygen sensors. I took those warnings seriously when the car was new. But lately, I just ignored them. To my surprise the warnings just disappeared by themselves. Just hoping that the car will quit on me soon so that I've an excuse to buy a new one. But seems like, it'll be another 10yrs for me to get a new car!

Great handling at high-speed. Feel 80mph at 100mph. Very reliable.

Slow take-off (for 4 cylinders with auto-transmission). Not much fun to drive.

Not as Reliabe as I thought
By STLbill7982

1998 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this '98 from my sister this September. I am disappointed with what I thought would be a reliable car. The car vibrates a lot at idle - it almost feels like a massage chair from the Sharper Image. The 'check engine' light never turns off, even though the dealer assured me nothing is wrong. The car is noisy relative to GM cars that I have owned in the past. The rims make contact with curbs before the tires do, and as a result the rims are very scratched. The engine has littel power - sometimes I feel like I could get out and run faster.

Fuel mileage is superb.

Other Honda owners said Hondas are reliabe - I think they're giving Honda more credibility than they deserve. They've put their fair share of lemons on the road.

First (Japanese Car) Honda Accord EX
By Don W.

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Dec 2004 with 69000 on it from the original owners. Happy so far. Good gas mileage andcomfortable ride. I have had to put an O2 sensor in it after 1 week of ownership. Something that you can't predict of going out. I will keep you informed of my feelings of the car.

Location of controls and ease of operation.

Location of cup holders and lumbar support handle.