Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Might as well call it a tank continued
By JohnBonanno

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review when my car was running great. But the truth is if you treat this car great it will return the favor. At around 150k my ignition got loose causing the car to shut off when I'm driving. At one point I couldn't go anywhere without holding my key so the car wouldn't turn off. I haven't driven it in a long time and just started it up (holding the key in place) and it drove like a champ still. Need to replace the valve cover gasket battery and the alternator maybe a tune up also. But that is it - the best purchase I have ever made. The window motors are horrible but that's it. Like I said you cannot break these things even if you try. Buy this car you won't be disappointed.

Awesome 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th Car
By tjak74

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Bought car from original owner with 195,500 miles and complete service records. Hit 200,000 on July 4th. 1st owner was rear-ended in 2002, the only major repair. Car is brand-new feeling. Drives VERY smooth @ 90 MPH. I have driven it on several long trips (550 miles one-way), in hot, cold, bright, dark, dry, and wet conditions, without any problems. Averaged 30MPG @ 80-90MPH on those trips. Only need to make ONE stop because car is so comfortable and good on gas mileage. Car is very reliable and fun-to- drive. Has good around-town and passing power and great brakes. I highly recommend this vehicle.

RELIABILITY, Great MPG, Cold AC, Comfortable ride, Sporty look and feel, Good acceleration and passing power. Also, the availability of a V-6 and leather if you get the EX-L V-6.

Ripped off but I still like it
By Matthew D

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97' Accord a month before I got married. The dealer I bought it from told me it had passed all their inspections and was good to go. Right after purchase I had to replace the radiator, water pump & timing belt, belts, brake rotors and tires. Four months later I find out it has a bad piston rod and needs a new engine. Even after all this I love the car. I get a solid 32 MPG on the freeway and I love the way it drives. The seats are a little uncomfortable for long drives but other than that I'm determined to replace the engine and keep driving it.

Smooth four cylinder, Manual transmission, MPG

Better seats, Power windows are really slow

Can't beat the Honda Engine
By Dwayne N.

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I'm so in love with my Honda Accord, I've been driving it for 2 years since 2007 that I bought at 106000, now it's only 126000. Never any engine problem before, only once the check light appeared (Sparkplugs replacement). I'm pretty sure that my accord will last at least 10 more years even if I would try to break it. The only problem with it for now is the AC, it blows no cool air :( I don't know what is exactly wrong with it. Hopefully I get it done soon.

Great sporty shape, unbeatable engine, low mpg, best car ever for student like me :)

Can't find anything for a car as 12 years old.

Wagons are back!
By choda

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 95000, after selling our 95 Accord damaged in hail storm. This LX wagon has been reliable, although it has a couple of issues. The slow electric windows, starting to smell antifreeze and the worst is the paint clearcoat is failing. The automatic trans requires more frequent fluid changes than most or it will act up. Gets 25+mpg, not quite as good as the 95 Accord sedan. Performance is fine for normal driving. It's too bad the paint is going away. New paint is so expensive I will be selling this car.

Style, reliability, gas mileage and hauling capacity.

Better clear coat on the paint, drivers side window motor.