Used 1997 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Awesome 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th Car
By tjak74

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought car from original owner with 195,500 miles and complete service records. Hit 200,000 on July 4th. 1st owner was rear-ended in 2002, the only major repair. Car is brand-new feeling. Drives VERY smooth @ 90 MPH. I have driven it on several long trips (550 miles one-way), in hot, cold, bright, dark, dry, and wet conditions, without any problems. Averaged 30MPG @ 80-90MPH on those trips. Only need to make ONE stop because car is so comfortable and good on gas mileage. Car is very reliable and fun-to- drive. Has good around-town and passing power and great brakes. I highly recommend this vehicle.

RELIABILITY, Great MPG, Cold AC, Comfortable ride, Sporty look and feel, Good acceleration and passing power. Also, the availability of a V-6 and leather if you get the EX-L V-6.

Ripped off but I still like it
By Matthew D

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97' Accord a month before I got married. The dealer I bought it from told me it had passed all their inspections and was good to go. Right after purchase I had to replace the radiator, water pump & timing belt, belts, brake rotors and tires. Four months later I find out it has a bad piston rod and needs a new engine. Even after all this I love the car. I get a solid 32 MPG on the freeway and I love the way it drives. The seats are a little uncomfortable for long drives but other than that I'm determined to replace the engine and keep driving it.

Smooth four cylinder, Manual transmission, MPG

Better seats, Power windows are really slow

Can't beat the Honda Engine
By Dwayne N.

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I'm so in love with my Honda Accord, I've been driving it for 2 years since 2007 that I bought at 106000, now it's only 126000. Never any engine problem before, only once the check light appeared (Sparkplugs replacement). I'm pretty sure that my accord will last at least 10 more years even if I would try to break it. The only problem with it for now is the AC, it blows no cool air :( I don't know what is exactly wrong with it. Hopefully I get it done soon.

Great sporty shape, unbeatable engine, low mpg, best car ever for student like me :)

Can't find anything for a car as 12 years old.

LOVE MY SE!
By krm

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

My sister had leased this car for 3 yrs and I snatched it up the day she went SUV. 135K miles on it now w/numerous 2K mile road trips under her belt. You can not destroy this car! I drive on possibly the worst tires in a winter snow zone without chains or studs and as long as the front bumper isn't pushing snow, I get wherever I need to go. My fuel mileage has drops to about 20-21 MPG with the winter ethanol mix we're forced to use, but she runs like a champ! Great car!

Love the leg room up front. Never ridden in the back but doesn't look comfy with the Driver's seat all the way back like I have it. Lab loves to ride shotgun and her throne requires an annual steam cleaning. Moon roof is essential.

Center console does not support male's weight on right arm pushing himself back into cruising posture - elbow has shattered the top plastic of the console lid. Paint chips terribly on front. Hate where the trunk/fuel releases are. That's where my left foot rides dammit. S/be in jockey box.

WELL MADE!
By vaneverette71

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Special Edition in March, 03 with 60k on her. The only things I have done besides oil changes have been replacing the radiator and timing belt (1st time!) at 160k. I wish I had a stick shift, but it still runs well and burns very little oil. I change oil every 7.5k. The new hondas look good, but since I'll only get $2-3k in trade, I think I'll hang onto this baby a while!

Cruise, radio, consistent handling. I have been driving Accords since '87.

Seats could be a little firmer. A little more horsepower.