Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

More style than a Camry
By shamarcus

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car has more style than a Camry but comes up short in the gotta-have department. I have owned a Jetta and a Maxima. The Accord would be my 3rd choice for the gotta-have-it factor. In my opinion, the car has been very reliable with low cost on the wear and tear parts such as brakes and belts. They actually last a long time. There are lot of aftermarket parts to personalize your Honda.

Reliability, relative low cost of ownership (wear & tear parts last long). Maintenance is high as any car. More personality than a Camry, but short of the features of a Maxima. Resale, longetivity, and fold down rear seats. Big trunk.

The car is a little small on interior volume. A little noisy inside (considering the Honda hype). The 4 cyl engine with AT is nothing flattering. Power windows are extremely slow and weak. A/C is marginal.

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated
By aguywhoknowscars

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

Could've been great except very underpowered. Why they didn't make the V-6 available in the wagon I'll never understand, especially since it was the heaviest model in the line up, and that the wagon's primary demographic sales target was people with families. Bad product planning on Honda's part.

My New Ride
By MilesB

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car, and I must say that I am VERY impressed. It has 145,000 miles on it, and it still runs like a dream. I honestly couldn't ask for more in a used car.

Reliability, gas mileage

My reliable friend
By Doug

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My favorite communter car ended its days today . . . alas a jerk looking down at his cell phone rear-ended her with me in it at about 40 mph. Of course that I am typing tonight is testimony to her design and strength of unit body. The car was shortened about 18" by the impact and the DS seat broke and I ended up half in the back seat. She is gone, but I am not! Before toda,y her 168,000 miles were a pleasure. Faithful service with no problems and we fully expected another 100,000 miles in the family. She is gone but not forgotten.

Rock solid transportation and reasonably fun driveability.

Reliable
By Brian M

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

We've owned this vehicle for 10 years and have had zero mechanical problems. Incredible reliability and it still runs nicely with 165,000 miles on it.

Unbeatable reliability.