Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Not a Viper but awesome still
By Darling, N

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

I have had this car almost 2 years and only had to do oil changes (on time, always). My mechanic can never find anything else to do with it. It isn't fast, like my Accord Sedan was, but it is comfortable, quiet, and very good on gas, about 30 mpg-awesome for a wagon! It has good ergonomics; all gadgets are easily accessible, seats are well placed but I am short so I wish the seats could adjust more. The front windows are slow, but overall this car is a 9 1/2. IT is a typical Honda-reliable to the bone.

Comfortable seats, pretty color, ergonomics

needs V-6

1 of three I own, need I say more...
By scott

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I own three 97 Honda accords, two Lxs and My SE. My lowest mileage Lx has 135,00 and my highest 212,000. And they all run like new. Have had to do very little with any of them. They wear tires like a dream, usually a set lasts longer than manufacture rating. My tip for everyones weak motor widow troubles is to spray some lube on the window channels going vertically on each side, the problem is not the motor, it is binding friction on the glass sides itself. This will make the windows work like new.

Easy to see and drive. Very safe and dependable. Great gas mileage, have gotten 34 on cross country trip loaded down. Leather interior is beautiful. Resale. Bought one and drove three years and sold for profit!

Windows need some tlc, but easy fix. Valve adjustments regularly make huge difference in power and mpg. Man. recommends every 40,000 I believe.

Good Car but expensive repairs
By Dockter

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2000 with 74,000 miles. I now have 187,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with the engine. My complaints are slow rolling windows, suspension has been replaced twice, A/C doesn't work even when it was working and now that it's 11 yrs old the radiator, engine mount and cam seal for timing belt and power steering are all leaking or broken and need to be repaired to the tune of $2,000.00. I just put in $1500 in new locks, actuators, tires and suspension. It's not worth it to me to pay that much since I will only get around $3,000.00 for the car...maybe less. So time for a new one. I'm bummed because the engine rocked and it was a comfy ride.

Sun roof, stereo system, engine.

A/C, suspension, speed of windows. Noise. Car rattles.

Reliable, Great MPG, Perfect color
By sadtoseeitgo

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car was 2 years old when we bought it. Loved the look & at the time it was a good fit for us however due to back trouble I have to find a vehicle that sits up a little higher. No complaints about this car otherwise. We get about 23 MPG in town. IN LOVE with the color somewhere between silver & gold. Compared to my sisters Camry of the same year the Honda paint job has held up better. We have kept all scheduled maintenance up, so this will be a great car for it's new owner. Also I think this is still a very attractive car

Reliability, MPG, Structural Integrity

Height, I think this was the last Accord that sits this low

I'd do it again!
By CoryinTX

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

So I purchased my '97 Accord about 3 years ago. Since then I've only had minor things to replace (both knobs for the A/C, timing belt & water pump, radiator, brake pads). I absolutely love my car! It has just about 115K miles and it still runs like a dream. This is the 3rd Accord that I've owned. The car is 11 years old, but I'm willing to bet that it's got another 150K miles left on it. The backseat is just ok for long trips (say my friends) & the front seats aren't that bad either. Could use just a little bit more leg room after 5 hours on the road (my partner & I are 6'4") & some extra lumbar support for the driver would be nice. All of these are minor issues though. GREAT CAR!!!

The 5 Speed & noise level on the freeway. Great Stereo for a factory system

My CD player just up and stopped working one day & the power locks tend to lock themselves while I'm driving down the road. I think it's just OCD.