Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 131 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Had to Sell Her
By Rachel

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Well, I was the only owner, and I had to sell her. I could not get the check engine light to stay off. I had the distributor changed, and that did not solve the problem. The code was P1382. The car was great until this problem came up. I finally got tired of trying to figure it out. I loved the design of this car, and I will miss her.

I loved the body style.

Road noise.

No Complaints from me.
By Accordion

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Aside from routine maintenance, and an occasional free check up, (complements of the extended emissions warranty) this car has required less than any other car I have ever owned to continue doing its job. I love the ride, and the 5-speed keeps it fun. I hungrily admire many new cars each year, but return to the same reasoning: why spend $15-$50K on a new car when the one you are driving is perfect and virtually free by comparison. It seems almost un-American, but I'll keep my money for now.

The 5-Speed.

I regularly get 25+ mpg, but this day and age that number is a mark against the car. The rear mounted antenna doesn't play well with my GPS FM transmitter. You stopped making this model? Why? I suggest you remod and rock on - hybrid style...

NOTHING but a worry
By Jenna

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've had nothing but problems. My dad bought this car for me 4 years ago from a woman that bought the car new. It currently has 127,000 miles and here are just a few of the problems. It takes forever to get the window to go up, often have the help push it up. Need a new muffler. Hesitates CONSTANTLY like its going to die, told it was the EGR (?) valve, paid to fix, still does it months later. Starter went out (normal, i guess?). ALL four signals do not work, went to mechanic and said fuses are good, so they need to run a diagnostic test for $90 for SIGNALS? Bizarre problems.

The steering wheel tilts. The windshield is gigantic. The outside is pretty decent for being such an old car.

My Honda
By sheila

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

I have no interest in replacing this car, which has served me well for years. It did require about $3-4000 in replacement parts at around 105,000. It was well worth the investment. I wish they were still on the market! Only disappointment is that it only got 22 mpg in the city, and about 23-25 highway.

Responsive handling

Starts Everytime
By OvchkinLine

1996 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car in my family going on 14 years now, bought it brand new in 96. She's going on 300,000KM by this spring, she's seen summers in 99 and the worst of Canadian winters in 01-02. I've done my best to baby her (oil changes every 5000Km, routine maintenance and a few new cheap Honda parts here and there). She's quicker then most cars on the road, drives incredible and cheap on gas. What more can you ask for in a car.

Speed, gas mileage, and reliability. Just knowing that in Canada's minus 35 degree snow storms she starts up warms and runs like a champ.

design, interior