Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Has its troubles
By Dp

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

Bought with bad rotors, breaks, bad front tires and cracked radiator, 600$ out the door to begin with. Fixed it all up and its been some what reliable. A year later, had to have the head gasket resurfaced. Mechanic said that the 96+ years have a problem with the head gasket. That cost me another 1200, recently, the car has been chugging the radiator fluid, but the lines/hoses are new and radiator is sealed up tight. Still unresolved problems with loss of radiator fluid. Ill top her off and when I park it after a drive, it will overflow or dump about 1/3 of the fluid on the street and it only happens the one time I top it off. Wish I got a Tacoma. I prob got one of a few lemon accords.

Got a newer headunit the week I purchased the car, love it, stock speakers come alive with new headunit, good base, good tonal range for stock speaker set.

Nothing much, just wish I didn't get the lemon

My First Car
By Robetross

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Honda was my first car and still is my one and only car. My parents bought it new in 1996 and gave it to me when I graduated college and started living on my own. It is a very reliable car and if you follow the maintenance schedule and spend the money to maintain it, it will last a long time. I will be hitting 185,000 miles soon and will never sell or trade this car in....too much sentimental value and besides, it's just a great commuter car. Gas mileage is above average and it being my only car, I know it will still start every day, despite its age.

Reliability, exterior still looks good for its age....not too boxy or bland. Plenty of room for friends and groceries in the back.

Not Bad!
By Charles

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

This car is FOREVER old and it's been really good. Of course, there are some things that have gone wrong seeing that it's been around since 1996. It needs a new muffler and the front windows are having issues getting up and down. Such are power windows, though, after close to 14 years! Something actually just went wrong the other day and I can't get it to turn over. Not sure what the problem is yet but it's been super STURDY and great up until now. Honda rules. Oh, and it has 180,000 miles. Not bad at all! I'm sure after I get the "starting" issue fixed it'll have much more life in it. She's given me faith!

Pretty convenient controls. Good handling. Still good pick up for being a 1996.

I'm at a loss.

Honda Reliability
By JW

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 5 years so far, and it has been as reliable a car as I have ever owned. Repairs since 78k miles have included, new exhaust, timing belt and water pump, alternator, clutch master cylinder, several CV joints, horn malfunction, plus general maintenance. Overall this is typical for any car over a 70k mile span of time. The EX four cylinder has enough pep, but is not a performance engine. Manual transmission helps extract the most juice out of this powerplant. The interior is spartan but enjoyable. Instrument layout is intuitive and easy to use. Legroom in front is surprisingly good for tall people. I love this car. It isn't flashy, but it's reliable day in and day out.

Well designed, front-wheel drive in winter, vtec 4 cyl., pwr sunroof, pass thru backseat.

More power, too easy to break into.

200K & It Won't Quit
By kSLC

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Mechanically and with looks, this car is incredible. Over 200K and no oil leaks and looks like new. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't drip, doesn't show any sign of stopping any time soon. Worth twice what Detroit was putting out during that same time! I don't count myself as a Honda nut, but honestly, the engineering of this car is incredible. Planned obsolescence be damned. :)

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Gas mileage is also amazing. On long drives I can get over 30mpg easily!

Comfort is the only weak spot here. I'm 6'3" and it's tight. Also, the interior is too noisy in my opinion. Also, window locks should lock out others but not the driver’s panel - that's always been irritating to me. Also no FOB.