Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

my Accord
By Bill

1996 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Great all around car. Good in snow. could use more power. Controls well laid out. Had problems with Ac, starter, fuel injectors.

manual transmission, 6 disc cd changer

Stronger springs for trunk lid.

What you can expect in repairs!!
By Bruce

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Great car for Reliability. Below are my service records: 1. Timing Belt replaced 88K 2. New Radiator - 130K 3. Temperature senor - 140K 4. Vaccum hose fell off - 167K 5. Oil pan gasket - 170K 6. Rear main seal - 176K 7. Distributor o-ring and engine gasket - 176K 8. oxygen senors - 176K 9. Also, tires, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, gas filter, replaced brakes, replace transmission fluid, coil wire and distributor cap / rotor. (Normal repair items)

The oldest car with the most miles I have ever owned. The car costed $18k new and only $2K in lifetime repairs. Not bad for 11 years and 178K miles.

Nothing!!

A Reasonable but Not Exciting Used Car
By emeyer

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This review concerns the 5 speed manual LX 4 cylinder model. Driving: The manual shift has always provided a little annoying hesitation coming out of first gear. I like the extra power of the manual transmission for passing. Interior displays are easy and logical. Not an exciting car to drive--but okay. Reliability: This car is now 10 years old and I have had some difficulty with the usual suspects for older cars: brakes and exhaust have been replaced. I have also replaced the starter (strangley). Otherwise the power features continue to work fine. Average amount of repair/maintenance I'd say. Overall I am reasonably happy with the car.

I like the chime, upon exiting the car to let me know I have left the lights on. Otherwise, I can't think of a favorite feature. The car has power everything and given the age of the car- -10 years--I am happy the fetures in general still work.

Gas mileage for my manual trasmission car is only about 25 miles a gallon. That's for a four cylinder. The trunk design is such that putting the back seats down for extra storage doesn't really work since longer items won't clear the top of the trunk.

mm
By mg005

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Accord for nearly 10 years. It is by far the most reliable and problem free car I have ever owned. It is not the most exciting car to drive; however, I bought the car for reliability and gas mileage and have gotten my monies worth. Currently, I have 165K miles and hope to get 250K.

Reliability and ease of which I can do my own maintenance.

Recurring problems with the driver's auto window. It is slow and sticks requiring frequent lubrication.

The "Mayesmobile": A Well-Built Wagon
By Marc Mayes

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

A silver 1996 Honda Accord wagon has been in our family for so long, it has earned the loving nickname "The Mayesmobile". It has transported us through blizzards and hurricanes reliably and comfortably. For a decade, it has swallowed our hockey gear, musical instruments, friends and animals with ease. After all these years, it is still a peppy* drive, rattle-free over potholes, nimble in the corners and easy to parallel park. As the car has gotten older, we have had a few issues finding parts (struts at 90,000 miles) when we've needed them, but as of yet, no major repairs have been required outside of routine maintenance. It is easily the best car our family has ever owned.

VTEC Prelude engine, double-wishbone suspension, roof rack and moonroof.

wish it had a 5spd. besides that, it is perfect.