Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Accord beats Passat
By Accord Wagoneer

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

When my 2002 VW Passat wagon was diagnosed with over $3000 in repairs for bad components such as starter, wiring to accessories, suspension, etc. I sold it at a huge loss and found a ‘96 Accord Wagon with 79k miles on it. It is such a superior car in reliability and ease to service, there is little to compare. I have two 96 Accords now, they are amazingly reliable, and 11 years on these cars is nothing – they are lively, cheap to own, safe, and fun. I regularly get 25-30 mpg, they start in any weather, owners can service most components, and the web forums are very popular and informative. Pick one of these cars up, they are young at 150k, you can’t go wrong at the prices they go for now.

Reliability, ease of service, mileage and strong 4 cylinder engine.

They got it right with this car. I just wish Honda would bring the Wagons back to the US -the rest of the world has them.

Great car with minimal repairs
By cam0175

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when my dad was disabled in 2001. He had kept it in the garage with 7,500 miles. Six years later and 181,500 miles later (it has 189,000 now...mostly highway miles) the car has held up. I just replaced the struts and rotors and got new brakes. I also did the usual coolant change and transmission fluid change and had to replace two cv joints. The engine seems to purr now, I guess it is just breaking in! I plan on driving this thing for a long time. The body is in excellent conditions with one scratch and a small ding and the paint still shines when I wash her. I plan on seeing if this things will last me for another 80,000 miles.

Great gas mileage. I always add fuel injection cleaner at least 3 times a week because i drive a lot and it improves gas mileage. I believe the honda has a 15 gallon tank which will give you about 31 gallons or more on the highway.

Road noise is somewhat apparent in the cabin.

1996 Honda Accord DX Sedan
By Duane

1996 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it has been the model of reliability. I bought it because my last car, a 1990 Oldsmobile Calais 442, was on its 3rd head gasket and multiple oil leaks after only 80K miles and wanted a car that would stay out of the shop. My Accord has not been in the shop except for maintenance items to be replaced. It is very roomy in the front, ok in the back and overall comfortable on long trips to drive of which I have taken it on many. The performance is acceptable for what it is. I like high performance cars and I would have bought the VTEC or V6 if I had the money at the time but it was not to be. However, it has competent acceleration and handling for a DX family car.

Reliability, interior room, exterior design

Better quality plastics in the interior

My Best Friend
By s.macquaig

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Accord, I have 152,000 miles on the present one and I really do not ever want to get rid of it. I have only had to replace batteries and I have been faithful getting timing belt, etc changed on schedule. I was a home health rn. working out in the country and put many miles on it, son had it for 1 semester at college, this car drove me to Florida about 2,000 miles round trip when I evacuated New Orleans from Katrina.I have retired to northern Michigan 3 months ago,and "my best friend" now has nice warm garage and loves to drive on the snow! My son lives here also and after my luck with honda, bought a Honda station wagon from private owner 1984/186,000 mi+ runs like a top.

Dependability, easy drive.My sister drove me back to new orleans after i evacuated to her home in southern Fl.not only is the car fun to drive I enjoyed passenger feel, safe and the car has enough weight to feel safe.

For some reason I seemed to get in trouble with my tires and the problem was always with the stems. I would wager I had to have at least 8-10 stems replaced after the tire lost air.no other cause for the flat

Blue's car:( ~~you were so good to me~~
By blueskeye

1996 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

I just can't say enough about the Honda. From the day I bought it, until last week, Nov2nd,06,(265k mi) it was sooo good to me, fun to drive, got me back and forth comfortably to work, and back and forth on many trips to Florida:) and other places,dependably, safely...where is it now? at the collision shop, the rear bumper & trunk smashed in while I and GF were at a complete stop, the 2007 Audi SUV plowed into the back of it, at approx 35 mph, he didn't even brake! We were only minorly hurt (I hope, not all the test results are back yet), the unibody design, and the correct crumple zones did what they were supposed to do. the Adjuster considered it "A Total Loss"...I say it is NOT a total loss

the design

I had planned on having the car for at least another 100k miles. maybe, different colors..lol..