Used 1990 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

90 Accord EX High Miles
By New2Honda

1990 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 90 Accord EX Sedan from a private party. This has to be the most dependable car I have ever owned! It has 210,000 miles and runs like its brand new. I use this car in a 140 mile daily commute and I trust it 110%!

Reliability, Quality, Reputation, MoonRoof, Comfortable Drivers seat

Difficult to make u-turns

almost 16 years
By lemon lover again

1990 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

In a previous post, I noted early problems with this car, purchased new in 1990. Since 1999, I have put a total of $1900 into it, including new $400 Michelin tires, $700 motor mounts, $95 for an an ignition problem, $150 for a transmission issue, and a couple hundred for brakes. That leaves around $350 for routine maintenance. Motor mounts were not necessary and could have chosen cheaper tires, but both make it run almost like new, and I intend to keep it around. Dealer did install all new hoses and a radiator for $125 - long story, good customer service. Test drove new Acuras, Hondas, got back in this and wondered why I was shopping. Fun on mountain roads.

It runs and runs and runs. Very sporty, comfortable. Kids pull up to me on the street and ask if I want to sell it. Just a nice simple car without a lot of extra stuff. Great paint - still shining. Quiet ride - better than some new. All accessories still work.

Still would like to get rid of automatic seatbelts, but other than that most of my other complaints seem like nothing. Only 20mpg in town now, but still great on highway 32-34mpg. #2 most stolen car in state (yep, 1990) - make it harder to steal.

Everything should be this solid
By Brad

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased 5 yrs ago with 134k miles, now at 200k. No major problems at all. My car has led a very demanding life, and granted I maintain it well, but its still amazes me how well it holds up! A true testament to Honda using quality materials. The A/C has needed recharged, brakes needed some maintanence, exhaust, and suspension bushings replaced, but these are all very normal things for almost any car over 10 yrs old. Everything that has needed attention has been a Do-it- yourself saturday job, if you enjoy doing your own work. I've never had to take it to a shop. Nearly every accessory still operates perfectly. Has NEVER failed to start, even in the dead of Ohio winter. Thanks Honda!

Quality interior, pleasant exterior design that ages well. Amazingly reliable engine. LX trim level includes great options. Easy to maintain! Still feel smart driving it.

Diagnose rear wheel well rusting in future models (I'm sure they have).

Impressed
By In love with Honda

1990 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

Bought this great car from my uncle three years ago. almost 198,000 miles now and still running strong. Easy for self repairs and modifications. Great gas mileage with a peppy 2.0L four banger. Catches the eyes of street racers with a sleek long sporty body style. Really gets up and goes. A classic reliable Honda. Starts up in my hometown's 112 degree summers and our chilly sub freezing winters and handles like a dream in the snow and ice. Great car for travel or short commute. Only downside, used parts are hard to find in junk yards... But only because these cars are still on the road due to dependable Honda engineering.

Full power options. Excellent peripheral viewing for a safe drive. Aggressive body style. Hand brake, sports transmission, and Excellent Honda performance.

Very common rear quarter panel rust caused by chemicals in liquid ice melt on highways.

15 years and still going strong
By drewd

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord new in 1990. The only major problem that I had was my own fault - the timing belt broke because I did not follow the scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, it cost about $1600 to fix, but that's the only significant problem that the car has ever had. It's protected my wife in two fairly serious accidents, even without airbags. It's been all over the US and treated us great! Every time we think about selling it, we just can't come up with a compelling reason - maybe it will just last forever!

Cold, cold, COLD air conditioning.

The auto transmission kind of sucks the performance out of it.