Used 2015 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Red D
By Thom Thumb

2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

This is a great car with a few bugs. transmission was replaced at 22000 but all is good now. The Crystal Red is the best red GMC has had to date. The new 2018 Crimson red is not as sharp. Seats could be much better for long drives. After all this car is made to drive.

Too many problems
By Shellie

2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

At 60,000 miles I had to replace the radiator, front struts and air conditioner compressor. I've had the roof rack and passenger side door molding blow off. Very disappointed. I bought this wanting to keep it for years but now I can't get rid of it soon enough. I spent so much and have spent even more repairing it. It shouldn't fall apart this quickly!

Stay away from this vehicle.
By mike

2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

I ordered this suv from the dealership, just the way I wanted. The problems started 3 months after I bought the car, and they are as follows: (1) After the 3 month or 2GB data plan expired. I figured I would enroll in the monthly data plan, as the wifi worked great during the trial. I subscribed to a 1 GB data plan per month. My daughter drained the whole data plan in less than 10 minutes by streaming a you tube video (she didn't download anything.) I called ONSTAR to see how the data plan got depleted so quickly. They refilled the data bank. Again, she depleted the 1 GB streaming a 10 minute video. I called again, they replenished the account a 3rd time. After the same thing happened again. The ONSTAR people told me that my daughter was either downloading a big file or there was something wrong with the hardware in my car and I'd need to take my car into the dealership to have it fixed. So, I took it to the dealership. They told me it would take a day, 7 days later I got my car back and the wifi NEVER GOT FIXED!!!!! The dealership could replicate the problem my car was having with burning through 1 GB of data in less than 10 minutes while streaming a video. The dealership said the car passed all diagnostic tests and ONSTAR said all of their equipment was properly working and I could leave my suv at the dealership until they somehow could get it fixed. But, they had no ideas as to how to fix the problem because it passed all diagnostics. I chose to cancel the monthly wifi package, which got the ONSTAR people to call me and reassess the problem. Guess what, they could never figure out the problem either. (2) About 2 months after that, I had the first of a total of five problems with the prim pieces on the outside of the car. If you look at every door on the car, their are vertical trim pieces that are plastic that run vertically between where the windows join the door seals. Every one of those pieces on all four doors has come loose and had to be reaffixed to the car with something called appliqué. Each time one of those came loose, it was strip to the dealership, so FOUR more trips to the dealership. (3) This past October a red warning light showed up on the rear view mirror. I called the ONSTAR people, they said the ONSTAR system needed to be checked out. At this point the suv had 35,900 on the odometer. By the time the dealership could look at the car, the odometer had gone past the 36,000 mark. SUV has a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. The problem with the ONSTAR system was that the antenna on the car had broke. The dealership wanted $500.00 to replace the antenna since the car was now out of warranty. I came uncorked at them and they eventually fixed the antenna for $100.00. (4) This last December the sunroof started to leak water into the car on both the driver and passenger side of the center console around the controls for the sun roof. The cost was $500.00 The work repair order said that the drain tubes for the sun roof had come a part. NO NEW PARTS WERE USED. THEY RECONNECTED THE DRAIN TUBES. (5) Then, last night one of the previously reattached trim pieces has come loose again. Today, I took my car to the dealership to see if the previous work was under warranty. They told me it was not and that to get the trim piece reaffixed was going to cost $300.00!! Mind you, the trim piece is loose and not missing. I told them no thanks. I took my car over to CARMAX and had it appraised. I took delivery of my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL in Jan of 2015. It currently has 39,000 miles on it and has had to go back to the dealership 8 times since I got it for building quality issues. Mechanically I have not had any problems with it, but quality wise this suv has been a nightmare. I had a Toyota Sequioa that had 140,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Yukon. I think I'll be getting another Toyota. In my live I've owned vehicles by: Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and GM. This was my first, and last GM. I would avoid this these things like the plague. I was able to find several web sites where people had mentioned the problem with the trim pieces after the second one on my car had come loose. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find that information until I specifically started searching for problems with window trim pieces on 2015 Yukon.
I traded this car in on a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser 6 months ago. I have had 0 problems with the Land Cruiser and my GMC had been to the shop 2-3 times for problems within the first 6 months of ownership.

Big is better
By Stu Brown

2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

You don't buy this if mpg is a priority,if you need a lot of room to move people or items,this is for you.GM has done a nice job of making a large SUV easy to handle,load and drive,the leather sears are comfortable for long hauls,the electronics are easy to work and the 30 months of ownership it has only been in for regular service,nothing else.

Suving
By Stu Brown

2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

The GMC Denali XL is great for room and yes comfor,technology is excellent ,and for a large suv,the mirage is what to be expected. The Bose system is great,and Bluetooth works all the time. Sometimes the GPS is not that accurate,however the traffic part of it is right on.overall this is my third one and by far the best of the three.if you need a lot of cubic space and want luxury to go with it,this is the right choice.