Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Great!
By DaveyDave

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

So much better all the way over my '98 version. 320 hp, Cold AC, Bose, seats, style, and mileage better, but still not great. I bought a Mini to commute in, and this is really the family trip vehicle. It is the best road vehicle I've ever had or been in. After owning it, it gave me the feeling that GM really wanted to be in the auto business instead of thinking of just financing the usual average dull boring unreliable vehicles they have put out for years.

Bose, satellite radio, seat adjustments, build quality (which is really unusual for a GM vehicle), Temp control, icy air, and quick heat. Heated seats are the best ever. Rear seat radio.

Leather 3rd seat. For a vehicle north of $50K, don't skimp here. Floor mats are chintzy. Squeak where console attaches to dash should be better engineered. Ipod docking station.

Everyone rides with me!
By football mom

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The great thing about our GMC YukonXL is we have room for the book bags, sports equipment bags, grocery and friends! We never have to tell someone we don't have room. However, we end up driving more than we would like to. We purchased this vehicle with 14,000 miles and the ride is wonderful. We previously bought Suburbans and the difference is unbelievable. The GMC is has a better ride and the interior and exterior appointments are much nicer. However, it rattles and squeaks a little more than I like. For all the comfort I turn the radio up. The kids can watch a DVD while we listen to XM radio. The GMC is the way to go!

Heated seats, DVD, XM Radio, the ride

Squeaks, rattles that is my only complaint

Whats with the interior paint?
By J. McKeon

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Hubby surprised me with my pre-owned '03 model. Interior paint/finish on dash has an area flaking off. Weird! Went from a Caddy Seville SLS to this, so comfort and handling was important. On the comfort side, the XL is spacious and seating is pretty well, but not as many adjustments as the Caddy. Need to be able to adjust the seats lower with more tilt for shorter folks. It handles well, but almost too sensitive in the steering. I could see some major over-correction problems with even the most seasoned driver. I pull a two-horse trailer, and rate it adequate for that, due to sense of power strain and some instability even with equalizer bars

Space!

Better seating adjustments, and interior finish work. More stability for towing.

Best Choice for Family Travel
By SCL

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We love our Yukon XL. This is our fourth one. We've owned a '99, '01, '03 Yukon, and this one - the XL. Traded the shorty two months later for the longer wheel base. It has a smooth, quiet ride. Dependable. It feels safe on the freeways, and handles very well for large vehicle. I wish there was a way to get better "in town" gas mileage - avg 14 mpg. Highway gets 20 mpg. It pulled our RV with little effort - never knew it was there! We love the large cargo area. It hauls luggage, bikes, and anything else you need. I highly recommend SLT model - all the bells and whistles are fantastic.

Heated seats, fold-in mirrors, sunroof, six disc CD, adjustable pedals, great tow package, onboard computer, steering wheel controls, homelink, XM, OnStar, horsepower & comfy seats!

Better mileage - find some way to keep the horses and tow capacity and use gas more efficiently.

My 2003 Denali
By KJC

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Fun vehicle. Eats gas but is great for the kids to watch DVD's, and I hook up the Xbox sometimes. Easy turning radius. Headlight went out at 55k. Jack is terrible. Overall a good buy but at $52k a bit pricey. Terrible keyless system. Mine has died at least a dozen times.

DVD and electronic closing of side mirrors.

Bigger screen on DVD. Keyless closing of back trunk.