Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Buyer Beware
By UpsetYukonOwner

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

To all who want to know how GM takes care of its customers I suggest you read my post. I am a 2003 Yukon XL owner, owned a '97 GMC Suburban prior. Be forewarned to anyone who puts miles on the '03 and forward Yukons and Chevy equals. There is NOTHING Professional Grade about these vehicles!!! To date my vehicle has had to have both front hubs replaced. I have 4 friends with a total of 7 Yukon’s including mine. On these vehicles 5 hubs have had to be replaced. Sounds like an issue to me. If the truck was used in city driving or off road I would understand but for an on the road truck this is not an acceptable quality level for a $48,000. truck.

XM Radio

Better plating and painting on components. The engineers I know say they test these vechicles but maybe they should put big miles to see the flaws that would be so easy to fix. Yet still after all the updated Yukons the still have many minor flaws that when put together create a sub-standard vehicle

Real Happy after 3 years!
By Mike

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Denali new and I do a lot of towing. At the ramp, it will jerk my 6,500 pound wet boat out of the water with ease. Never any skidding or hesitation. It has also held up much better than expected and has been exceptionally reliable. No problems except one battery in 3-years with 45k miles. Better than Japanese cars I have owned. I added an K&N free-flow air filter and acceleration has noticably improved. When punched, it really moves out. While no econo car, it will take me over 500 miles on one tank while cruising at 80+. I calculated it around 16 MPG. In pure city driving I get around 12 to 13. I would buy another without question; I just don't want to part with my 2003!

Lots of power, exceptional towing capability, lots of room and exceptional reliability. Great looks.

Add the Duramax Diesel as an option please.

the best
By dana williams

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I always wanted a Denali. Now that I own one I am happy. I am very satisfied with this suv. It drives well, Looks good, is big enough for my whole family. The engine can get loud but that all that horse power.

It is a spacious vehicle. Looks good from the outside. It has enough space inside for cups and nick nacks. The seats adjust to your height and weight.

gas mileage

Yukon XL
By rsa240

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Yukon XL we bought and they are outstanding. Tried all the competition and they can’t touch the ride quality, especially with Autoride. Good power, nice ride, great utility, good looks, quite, you name it. We have had only minor issues that were covered under warrantee. Both vehicles have gone through multiple batteries and I cannot understand why GM uses the same battery on the Yukon that they us on a Malibu??? I wish they had better seating arrangements. Having to choose the bench seat with more seating or captain chairs that are more comfortable is tough. GM should offer an option to have 3 captain chairs in the middle row like some mini vans. On-Star not worth $.

Bose system, heated seats, looks, Autoride, 10.4’ aftermarket video system, steering wheel controls, 3-way climate control, power folding mirrors, utility, Universal Home Remote, Driver Information Center. Great overall vehicle.

Rev. warning, 18” std tires w/ opt 20” priced right, bigger video system, bluetooth to radio, better battery, move seat heat switches, more fnt leg room (box in the way), more leg room in 2nd row, opt for 3 capt chairs in the 2nd row, radio cntl in rear hatch /remote for radio, 3rd row floor mats.

Lemon law should have been used
By gravy

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV has been towed three times for a faulty fuel pump. The dealership knew of an ongoing problem but would not replace the fuel pump until an in- flight recorder was used to determine that it was the fuel pump. I have had two replacements of a shaft in the front end that wasn't lubed from the factory. The right side electronics went out costing $450.00. The motor for the left driver window went out, the heater in the right side mirror went out, I have the same squeaking dashboard as others have complained about, and more. This is the second Yukon (1998 GMC Suburban) I have owned but will be the last. The first one had to have a rebuilt transmission. Major diappointment!!

Smooth ride and good exterior look.

Higher quality and better serevice