Used 2011 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

A disgrace
By Very angry

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle in April 2018 and here it is September 2018 and I have had it repaired 4 times it has stopped on me multiple times while in the middle of driving with all three of my children in traffic. I have had the water pump replaced and 2 sensors replaced. This vehicle will get you and your family killed from it randomly stopping while driving anywhere😡😡😡

Great ride for a 2011 GMC Terrain
By Joan A Elwin

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car back in may 2018 and I love it, good gas mileage, stability and very comfortable. like other used car got to repair a couple of things nothing major, seats are awesome and the interior too, I'm used to drive pick up trucks ( Silverado) but if feel as safe as a truck.

Should be named “GMC POS
By Gregg Rivers

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Fiancé bought the vehicle from a dealer preowned. Whoever the original owner was, was smart to dump. Fiancé was smitten with the looks and I have to admit, the Terrain LOOKS nice. Otherwise it’s a complete POS. The 2.4L I-4 engine is complete JUNK! Fiance’s Vehicle has burned oil since day one. Catalytic converter hides the smoke by burning off the oil that’s passing by the piston rings. So you don’t KNOW it’s burning oil unless you check the dip stick! If you don’t check it, you can tell when the valves start rattling. The oil light will not come on until the engine has completely burned off ALL the oil. By then, the damage is done. The fact that GM knows that the 2.4 I-4 was built with defective/inadequate piston rings, yet will not issue a recall or any type of fix is just another reason to stay away from GM. Especially ANY vehicle with this engine under the hood. You can google this vehicle and this engine and see tons of articles on this problem. There’s more than enough mentions of it on this page alone! Today my fiancé’s Terrain is in the shop having the engine REPLACED at our expense. We won’t EVER buy another GMC 4 cylinder again. I won’t ever by another GMC PERIOD. The engine, even when running “properly” is totally lacking in enough power for the size and body weight of the Terrain. The Terrains electronics are crap too. Too many electrical issues to name here. In closing, if you’re looking at a Terrain, RUN AWAY! They’re complete GARBAGE! A total POS!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By Tiffany Sifford

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I must say I did a year worth of research before I decided to purchase another SUV. This vehicle seemed to be a good choice according to the reviews, well I was very disappointed to have to come back to the dealership multiple times for recalls and repairs needed that were covered under my warranty. This issue I have is eagerly and reliability. I have a family with four children and every time I ride I this vehicle I got nervous out our safety. I contacted GMC CEO directly and expressed my disappointment of the vehicles performance which resulted in me having $2,400 worth of repairs covered through my warranty. Just a couple months later my vehicle cut off while driving on the highway. I returned it back to GMC only to have a oil consumption completed and no issues or codes to show up on the diagnostic test. GMC customer service then closed my complaint and wished me luck. So I’m stuck with a unsafe SUV that I’m supposed to drive my children in. GMC refuses to take the vehicle back and satisfy the loan therefore I was forced to purchase another vehicle and pay on this SUV that isn’t safe to drive. I will not say that all vehicle through GMC are bad but the Terrian needs to be taken off the market. This vehicle will end up killing a family at some point.

One problem after another
By Bryan K

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Engine is terrible...have replaced every sensor, it burns oil, timing chain failure. ABS not working, Speed sensor failure, Stabilitrac failure, poor gas mileage, rear wheels can not be aligned