Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 GMC Terrain

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

SAVE YOUR MONEY & SANITY!
By Alyssa

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a used 2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD from Harris Mitsubishi Dealer (Everett, WA) in April 2015 with ~83,000 miles. Everything looked great and the cost was in my price range. When I asked the salesman about the CONSTANT CLICKING NOISE while the engine was running he said "that's normal for a 4 cylinder" Purchased this vehicle with the reassurance that it has been detailed, oil changed and mechanically inspected/ approved. I also purchased their 3rd party warranty (Protective Asset Protection) with hopes to be pro-active and a responsible car owner...

- May 2015: Low oil light comes on, I return to Harris Mitsubishi Dealer to be told that they just "forgot to reset the button but my oil is fine". They reset it and told me to come back as directed on the reminder window decal. *NO repairs preformed at this time as directed by Harris Mitsubishi*

-June 2015: While driving my Terrain dies multiple times when slowing to a stop. Must rev my engine to keep it on. Took immediately to Seaview GMC Service Department (Lynnwood, WA) Diagnostics come back with a TIMING CHAIN ISSUES and my Terrain had been LEAKING and now RUNNING ON NO OIL. *Preformed ALL recommend repairs by Seaview because this part was cover under factory warranty*

- October 2015: Check engine light turns on and clicking noise seems to be more regular. Took immediately to Seaview again and now diagnostics show CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAS FAILED and my AC COMPRESSOR is FAILING. $175.00 for diagnostics alone. Catalytic converter is not covered under my warranty and since the ac compressor has not failed they will not replace this. Seaview recommend not driving until these parts are replaced, quoted me at least $1,200 just for the catalytic converter part alone.

-November 2015: Researched online for answers only to find out that all of these issues are consistent with other numerous Terrain owners. When I contacted GMC direct 1-866-996-9463 with my frustrations, facts and safety concerns I was told essentially that its a used car that's out of warranty, but they will look into it....

****My advise to YOU is invest your good hard money into some other vehicle****

Expensive Peice Of Junk
By Tommy

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this 4 cyl SLE 2 Terrain in 2011 with just 9k on the clock. At first I thought it was a nice car for the money and offered a lot of comforts and conveniences. After 20k miles it needed at timing chain. after 40k miles it needed another timing chain. Shortly after that the ac would cycle on off every 10 seconds. Took it to GMC for ac check and they said was ok. Took it back at least 8 times and they started changing parts and every time they touched it it got worse. Finally they told me it needed a new evaporator because it was leaking. So I took it to another shop for a 2nd opinion and they said they could not see or find any leaks. So back to GMC again and they started messing with the computer. Only to make it worse. Than Yesterday driving home I hear a growling noise coming from the tranny and than my car stoped and I had to get towed to GMC. The next day GMC told me the tranny was toast and it would cost 4400 dollars because I am out of warranty. This car has only 4300 miles on it and has never need driven hard. Don't but a Terrain its bad news

Did not realize what i was getting into
By Chris Little

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i bought the SLE 2.4l AWD in 2014, the vehicle was already 4 years old with 80k miles on it. before i drove it off the lot, noticed the utility charging plug in the front storage compartment did not work, and the USB port in the center console did not work. told the dealer and they said they would handle it, no one ever called me. as the year progresses that i have the vehicle, i start smelling small amounts of exhaust in the cab and think nothing of it. this week, 11/2/15 - 11/6/15 the check engine light came on and gave a P0011 code, took it to the dealer and found it was crank shaft alignment sensor, the dealer recommended replacing the actuator for it and also doing the exhaust sensor and actuator. $900 later, because the extended warranty that i purchased would not cover the work performed, the exhaust i smelled in the cab became 10 times worse. took it back to the dealer and had them look at it free of charge. i now have a cracked exhaust manifold. this crack does not show up over night, which means when i bought it, the manifold probably had a small fracture in it. and yet again, my extended warranty will not cover this repair either. dealer wants over $500 to fix this, sorry.. i got my complementary inspection, im going somewhere else for the repair. dont get me wrong, the fuel economy on this vehicle is great and it is a good looking car. i, however, do not like having to fork out this much money on a vehicle when i have only owned it for a year now and still making payments on it. my 2002 GMC Sierra has given me less trouble, and it's 13 years old now.

This car has had more recalls and issues than norm
By Bryan Thompson

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have had 4 recalls. Every time we take the car in to the dealership it takes days to get it fixed, after being promised it should be a 4 hour fix. They also try and charge us every time and they try and tell us it's not under warranty so we have to prove it. The computer is a joke and the engine continues to have issues idling. Don't buy this vehicle as it has many issues.

piece of garbage
By miss p

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was put in the shop every other week. As a single mom I had came down To feed the family or fix car. I want or need To give this one back to GM. I will take a huge loss I had to replace major parts in this car. I only had it less than Two years! DO NOT PURCHASE A TERRIAN... I lost a lot of money looking to purchase forgien vehicles only!!!