Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 GMC Terrain

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

A Christmas Gift that wasn't worth giving!
By Tee

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We are warned that "Everything that looks good is not always good for you!" My son surprised me with this vehicle for Christmas 2 years ago. Needless to say, it was an expensive gift that was NOT worth giving. This vehicle will bankrupt you! If you purchased a 2010 GMC Terrain I certainly hope you have a good warranty to go along with it. You will most certainly need it. The Engine in these vehicles are LEMONS! You better buy stock in engine oil as well. Never mind any recommended oil change schedules you are given. Do it every 2,000 miles or you will pay the price. The best thing about that is, the car will warn you around every 2,000 mile interval. The engine begins to rattle when you press on the accelerator. It will begin to cut off on you upon acceleration. It will surge. It will stall and scare the hell out of you. And KEEP YOUR OIL CHANGE RECEIPTS, you will need them when you have to replace the engine...and you will have to replace the engine! They will try to say you did not change the oil according to schedule. Trust me, If I would of waited to do it every 3,000 (or 5,000 as they suggested) miles the engine probably would have caught fire. There have been numerous other issues as well, but the engine issues and the drastic over consumption of oil are the mother of all other issues. BUYER BEWARE! It's a shame too because I like the design, the body style, and the interior cabin space. But the cons far outweigh the pros.

2010 GMC Terrain Do not Buy!!!!
By Ever

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very expensive for junk suv!! Rather put more $$$ to Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V.

This car is not worth buying.
By Bryan Thompson

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased this car used and have had 5 recalls now, and the latest issue is the throttle body breaks. We had the dealer check this out before we left on a trip and they assured us everything was fine. On an 8 hour trip to Houston, we receive and error message that the car is powering down. It basically makes you slow down and pull over. Nothing you can do. We had the car towed to the nearest dealer and another repair. Very disappointed in GM as many of the websites I read say this should be a recall but to this point, nothing from GM. The MPG is way off. The car is now burning oil. I'll be taking it in again. Please don't buy GM cars.

SAVE YOUR MONEY & SANITY!
By Alyssa

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a used 2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD from Harris Mitsubishi Dealer (Everett, WA) in April 2015 with ~83,000 miles. Everything looked great and the cost was in my price range. When I asked the salesman about the CONSTANT CLICKING NOISE while the engine was running he said "that's normal for a 4 cylinder" Purchased this vehicle with the reassurance that it has been detailed, oil changed and mechanically inspected/ approved. I also purchased their 3rd party warranty (Protective Asset Protection) with hopes to be pro-active and a responsible car owner...

- May 2015: Low oil light comes on, I return to Harris Mitsubishi Dealer to be told that they just "forgot to reset the button but my oil is fine". They reset it and told me to come back as directed on the reminder window decal. *NO repairs preformed at this time as directed by Harris Mitsubishi*

-June 2015: While driving my Terrain dies multiple times when slowing to a stop. Must rev my engine to keep it on. Took immediately to Seaview GMC Service Department (Lynnwood, WA) Diagnostics come back with a TIMING CHAIN ISSUES and my Terrain had been LEAKING and now RUNNING ON NO OIL. *Preformed ALL recommend repairs by Seaview because this part was cover under factory warranty*

- October 2015: Check engine light turns on and clicking noise seems to be more regular. Took immediately to Seaview again and now diagnostics show CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAS FAILED and my AC COMPRESSOR is FAILING. $175.00 for diagnostics alone. Catalytic converter is not covered under my warranty and since the ac compressor has not failed they will not replace this. Seaview recommend not driving until these parts are replaced, quoted me at least $1,200 just for the catalytic converter part alone.

-November 2015: Researched online for answers only to find out that all of these issues are consistent with other numerous Terrain owners. When I contacted GMC direct 1-866-996-9463 with my frustrations, facts and safety concerns I was told essentially that its a used car that's out of warranty, but they will look into it....

****My advise to YOU is invest your good hard money into some other vehicle****

Expensive Peice Of Junk
By Tommy

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this 4 cyl SLE 2 Terrain in 2011 with just 9k on the clock. At first I thought it was a nice car for the money and offered a lot of comforts and conveniences. After 20k miles it needed at timing chain. after 40k miles it needed another timing chain. Shortly after that the ac would cycle on off every 10 seconds. Took it to GMC for ac check and they said was ok. Took it back at least 8 times and they started changing parts and every time they touched it it got worse. Finally they told me it needed a new evaporator because it was leaking. So I took it to another shop for a 2nd opinion and they said they could not see or find any leaks. So back to GMC again and they started messing with the computer. Only to make it worse. Than Yesterday driving home I hear a growling noise coming from the tranny and than my car stoped and I had to get towed to GMC. The next day GMC told me the tranny was toast and it would cost 4400 dollars because I am out of warranty. This car has only 4300 miles on it and has never need driven hard. Don't but a Terrain its bad news