List Price Estimate

Used Sierra 2500HD for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2008 GMC 2500 Diesel

John, 08/03/2010
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

Excellent HD choice & great value

Dave, 07/25/2008
SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I got one of the first 08 2500HDs off the line as a custom order back in Aug. 07. For what I paid, this truck is an amazing value when compared to the F250s and Ram 2500s out there. The gas V8 has plenty of power and tows a 5000 lb trailer with ease. At first I had a problem with the transmission not downshifting easily in the 25-50 mph range, but the dealer flashed the ECU and now it's more responsive (although a bit less smooth- shifting - before it was like silk). Fuel economy has been mostly around 10-11 in the city, anywhere from 12-18 on the highway (the faster you go, the worse it gets). Most impressive is the quality. The interior and overall feel of the 2500HD is very solid.

Not a fan

notafan, 02/13/2009
SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The fuel economy of this truck leaves a lot to be desired. My truck is GPS'd so I am only able to drive the speed limit without getting in trouble. The best I have ever got for fuel economy is 14.8 mpg (imperial gallons). The quality of the truck is less than desirable. In cold weather (less than -20c) the back doors will not latch completely without slamming them hard. I actually knocked the molding off the door trying to get it latched. When the doors are closed they squeak and rattle so bad you have to turn the radio up. I have had to install a second battery to get the truck to start after sitting for more than 3 days. The airbag computer already stopped working and needed replacing.

Back to re-review after 6 months

SLC, 12/02/2008
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review in June after trading in a 2004 F-150. It has only got better and better. Absolutely no issues. Fuel mileage has gone to over 23 MPG on a recent hiway only trip of 600 miles, to between 15-18 MPG back and forth to work and weekend trips. I have not had this kind of acceleration since my '61 Vette'. There are no rattles or any fit/finish problems. Only oil changes and tire rotation. I would not trade this truck for any other on the market. I did extensive reseach and I am so glad I choose this HD2500, Duramax/Allison. I would recommend this truck to anyone, no hesitation.

A refined, well built truck

MountainMan, 09/20/2008
SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Well designed, well built truck that is a pleasure to drive, but it struggles to pull my small 6000lb 5th wheel trailer over some moutain passes. ATF temps up around 215 deg although total weight well within published rating. Front end styling is ugly.

2nd Diesel, I'm keeping this one

Justin, 12/19/2008
SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the 6.6L with the Duramax/Allison combination, not the 6.0L. I previously had an 05' with similar features but wasn't worth the buyout at the end of the lease. There are things I liked about the 05 that the 08 lacks but most of all, I'm very pleased with the truck. Towing is great. Crewcab 8' bed is a long truck though. Park it at home if you intend to go into a city.

Transmission/ride

Craig, 06/19/2008
SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is by far the worst riding vehicle i have ever owned. I understand it is a HD, but come on GM, you're not always towing with it 100% of the time. I cannot believe the research and development guys at GM designed it that way. The rear end bounces 60% the time when empty or partially empty. tryed changing shocks and tire pressure adjustment. helped out about 5%. The new 6 speed tranmission in my truck needs work. There is a delay in shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This happen 10% to 20% of the time but is annoying.When the delay happens engine racing anywhere from 200 rpm to 1000 before the shift takes place.Tranmission engages harshly when shift happens. Look elsewhere.

Sharp comfortable work truck

efflandt, 01/13/2008
SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I am just approaching its first 1000 miles, so 13.8 ave. mpg of the 6.0L gas engine in wet to snowy suburban/hwy driving may improve in milder/dry weather as it gets broken in. The SLE1 interior trim is a step up from your average work truck with comfortable seats and leather wrapped steering wheel. A smooth quiet ride for a heavy duty truck under most conditions. Feels heavy, but stable and turns on a dime when you want it to. The 26 gal tank may seem limiting, but that is still good for mid-300 mile range, farther than most people would drive without taking a break. Overall it would be hard to find a better truck.

08 GMC 3/4 duramax! is it worth it?

qoh322, 11/06/2007
SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck drives awesome! Holds the road great and very powerful (duramax). Current gas mileage is only 15.5-16.7 still breaking in. Truck only has 600 miles. Color is sonoma red.

7 months of ownership & still great!

GMCcowboy, 03/10/2008
SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my 2500HD 4x4 back in August. 8500 miles later, I still love the performance, comfort, and looks of it. I've made one 900+ mile trip towing a 4,000 lb. trailer, and it drove like there was nothing attached to it. The interior comfort is excellent. The seats are very comfy, and the quality is outstanding. I have not had any problems to speak of. I'm real impressed with this truck. The only downside is the gas mileage (to be expected). I average 12/13 in the city, 16-18 highway (depending on speed) and 12.5 towing a trailer on the interstate. Reckon the 6-speed auto helps the MPG a bit.

51050