Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

So far, love it.
By Woof

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 SLT, Diesel on New Year's eve day, 08. I have put on 17,000 miles mixed mostly highway and suburban with a good bit of weekend warrior hunting and camping trips. I commute in this baby and my combined mileage is 15.7 over the last 9 months. That's with a cap on the back,and with 35 miles a day in hardcore SF Bay Area highway traffic hell. I don't tow but it will haul a back end load of hunting equipment, dogs and coolers full of meat. Honestly, I could use a lesser truck for most of what I do, but when I need to step up this truck takes it and keeps going. I can stick 3 dogs in the back of the cab, w. seats folded and they ride in comfort and one of them clocks in at 120lbs

This is no Porsche but it is quick and responsive. With no load hardcore highway commuting is no problem. The interior is nice, too much plastic maybe, but I bought this truck to get it dirty. The blk leather cleans up nice from dog drool, coffee spills and mustard splats.

Put in a handhold over the driver's door like Ford does -- so my 5'4" wife stops using the steering wheel to pull herself in. Also, I forgot, the only problems I have had has been electronic door locks breaking down, 2 so far. Under warranty so replaced w/ no problem.

My first 3/4 Ton Truck & Diesel
By Ryan

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I previously owned a 1999 Silverado 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed and a 2007 Sierra 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed I wanted to upgrade to something more powerful with more room. While I really don't need it for towing at this point, I can only imagine how great of a towing vehicle this will be. I am very impressed with the power of the Duramax diesel, as well as how quiet it is compared to the Ford Power Stroke and the Cummins in the Dodge. I test drove all 3 brands, and what won me over was the performance and power of the Duramax, as well as how much smoother the Allison Tranny shifted over the transmissions in the Dodge and Ford. The interior is the best of the 3.

Allison Transmission Quiet Diesel Engine as compared to the other two practical and comfortable interior practical styling G-80 rear locking differential XM Radio

GM needs to start putting lights back under the hood and in the glove box! GM could use a better quality plastic for the interior. It is ok as is, but could be much better. It should be noted that the 2007+ Duramax engines come with a particulate exhaust filter. You cannot remove this.

A Decent Truck With a Poor Drivetrain
By Kevin H

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a decent truck, but NOT with the 6.0 and GM 6 speed. You HAVE to get the Duramax if you need a 3/4 ton truck. The gas motor with fly by wire throttle, and GM 6 speed, is a horrible combination. It is a death trap when trying to merge with traffic, especially in conditions when you are on and off the throttle. There is up to a 3-4 second lag where absolutely no throttle input is given to the engine, no matter how hard you press on the accelerator. I believe GM implemented this so their tranny wouldn't explode. The engine and tranny computer work together, and the tranny computer tells the engine computer to not give any throttle until the tranny is ready (it never is).

Good styling, decent interior, great towing capacity (get the diesel unless you plan on having a fuel tanker follow you), and tie down rails in bed of truck.

Fuel mileage is not good. 12mpg in town, and 15 on the highway (at best, towing nothing). Lose the fly by wire throttle, and junk GM 6 speed. Allison tranny should be standard.

Needs Help
By Totally unimpressed

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Before buying this truck I owned a F250 V10. This truck was supposed to have 50 more hp and comparable torque but its lack of power is remarkable. My mpg is ok until I hook something behind it then its 5mpg... I have had no less than 20 warranty claims in 1 year. It absolutly can not handle any hitch weight without bottoming out. The sheet metal used to form the body is so thin the smallest bump and you have a dent. I really had high hopes that GM had a great truck but after the trans went out @ 6500 miles and many many other issues I'll admit I was wrong.. This pickup is fine for pulling your boat or cruising around but if you want a HD pickup do not buy this one.

Comfort is good, ride is good, and milage is acceptable

Build a pickup worthy of the HD that doesn't need to be in the shop once a month

Not a fan
By notafan

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The fuel economy of this truck leaves a lot to be desired. My truck is GPS'd so I am only able to drive the speed limit without getting in trouble. The best I have ever got for fuel economy is 14.8 mpg (imperial gallons). The quality of the truck is less than desirable. In cold weather (less than -20c) the back doors will not latch completely without slamming them hard. I actually knocked the molding off the door trying to get it latched. When the doors are closed they squeak and rattle so bad you have to turn the radio up. I have had to install a second battery to get the truck to start after sitting for more than 3 days. The airbag computer already stopped working and needed replacing.

The interior ergonomics is nice. I really like the self dimming mirrors. Seats are what is expected from GMC (very comfortable). Sounds good at the exhaust pipe.

Fuel economy would be nice. Quality need to be built into this truck. How about a rear bumper that actually takes a hit and doesn't fold like a cheap lawn chair.