Used 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Sorry to say my last GM product
By GDBYGM

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Like others my truck ran flawless for the first 15,000 or so and then the problems began. The rear drum brakes started to squeal every time you applied them, dash rattle, headliner rattle(dealer attempted to fix-rattle is back). Approximately 20k turning the steering wheel produced a weird noise(dealer tried to repair-it's back) 26k new front rotors and pads(my other vehicle has 71k with original pads if your wondering about my driving). 37k new belt tensioner and belts(squealing noise) 39k main engine seal leak(luckily repaired by GM) 41k steering link rattle(replaced link) and now "service brake system" message displayed. Thank you for stealing my $34,000 GM

I think this one is simple-IMPROVE YOUR QUALITY!

knocking noise and wires
By primetime

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

within the last year since I hd my sierra around 48,000 miles as I began to accelerate after I had been at a light or stop sign I am been getting a knock or a clunk as if the u joint is bad. also when I took it in for service because the engine light at 35000 miles Dealership told me it was rodent damages. This is an excuse after talking to other sierra owners it was just faulty wires that GM put on trucks. I won't buy another, after 3chevy's and a gmc I am going to ford.

seating

better warranty, wires and power train

Thumbs up design-Thumbs down mechanical
By tkdk

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Saw it on the lot and fell in love with its looks.Interior roomy,laid out well very good fit and finish. Fun to drive and real head turner I maintained it 100? inside and out. Then the DARK CLOUD at 40000-60. 4 tie rods,4 front hubs 4 brake jobs,Front and rear differential rebuilt,u joints,Drive shaft out of alignment, Steering column rattling like my 2002.Went to 2 dealers and factory Rep for warranty help.SORRY!!.70000 Master cylinder and ABS started goingBrought it to dealer for trADE.GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL PLUS REBATES.What did i trade it for? 2009 .GMC Sierra Z71 Crew cab.I know I know, Last try my 3rd.Pick it up in two days PS 5Yr 100000 warranty. My problems are theirs

Design,ride interior comfort.

Better mechanical quality and service.

GMC Quality does not hold up
By Gilby40

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Truck was very good for 1st 2 years....After that I've had to replace a wiring harness that caused the 4wd to fail and now a front end hub dealer said was caused by a pot hole and or/ moisture buildup (no way! I would have remembered hitting something that hard) ...The repairs are over $900.00 so far...I fad 2 other GM trucks since '92....This is MY LAST GM anything....I can hardly wait to see what will happens when god help me I go over 50,000 miles.

Seating and controls very good

Build them better period!...It's already starting to cost a lot in repairs.

I love my Sierra
By W. Oates

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SL1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my bullet proof Chevy for this GMC and I haven't been disappointed. I Use my truck as a daily driver and as a work vehicle. I'm in construction and my Sierra sees a lot of heavy use for a 1500 and does the work of a 2500 handily. I don't baby this truck at all and it rarely gets a bath. I love the roomy interior and power this truck gives me. ITS a V6!! It's zippy and maneuverable. Love the gas mileage and power was a trade off I thought I'd have to give on a little but I'm not let down by the 4.3 V6.

I am a big fan of most GM body styles but this is one of my favorites. It's bold and stylish. The large backseat is more than you could ask for in truck that isn't a true 4door. The tow/haul mode in the trans allows me to haul an entire kitchens worth of cabinets on a 20ft flatbed tandem axle trailer.

Offering trucks with 16'' or even 15'' wheels because the cost of 17'' tires stinks