Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Not good for towing
By Mike

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have you ever wondered why GM truck owners have to turn their hitches upside down. Even with Z-71, the suspension and trailering provisions are too soft and too low. Also the standard rear-end is going to be a 3.42. Great for milage, not so good for loading. Even with the 5.3 the engineers have turned up the computer trying to hide the small rear end. Posi-trac, not so good. One slick boat ramp and you will glad for 4WD. Even empty on the highway using cruise, the drivetrain cannot maintain enough power on hills to keep from down shifting and raising the RPMs. I pull three trailers ranging from 900 to 5100 pounds. All will wag this truck around easily. Brakes/rotors are on 3rd set.

Ride and comfort are exceptional. Road noise is minimal fro this size vehicle. XM radio is great and I love on-star. Big back seat handles car seat very well. Latch system is on all three places. Set the cruise on 64mph and long trips and 22mpg is not unheard of. Everything is a trade-off

Sealed grease fittings, better brakes, I don't tow that often but I have replaced front rotors at 12k and pads twice. Oil leaks at the drain plug. More power less mpg. Better trailering suspension for towing, stiffer ride. Body panels feel flimsey, especialy front fender around hood & rear fender.

'05 GMC SLT Crew Cab
By Bob

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am handicapped and this truck is very easy for me to operate. Everything is in clear reach, no need for any modifications. My wife, grand- daughter and I took a trip from Texas to Florida after buying the truck with no issues. Gas mileage is fantastic.

Power & heated seats, 6-disc in-dash stereo w/Bose speakers, very roomy interior, very comfortable ride.

4-wheel disc brakes, more power for the 5.3 liter engine and a little bit dressier interior for the SLT.

Lovin every minute of it
By gmctech

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love this rig. I am a GM technician and have a great love for the GM trucks. Love the style and the right amount of chrome. Never let me down yet. I live in the maritimes in Canada and love the flawless 4wd system and my truck auto 4wd mode. Fuel mileage is OK, but could be better. Very quiet ride but could use some better quality to rectify the little body creaks, rattles, and squeaks.

Opinionated Mechanic
By Branden

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Performance is important to me. The engine pulls hard at higher RPM but lacks low end torque. I have a 3.42 rear gear ratio. If you're using the truck for trips and highway use, thats a perfect ratio. If you want to do towing or be quick between red lights I would get a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio to make up for the lack in low end power. The transmission performs Okay if you're looking for smooth shifts. I prefer a firm shift which you don't get, even in the towing mode. Towing mode just runs out each gear to a higher RPM. Which is good for towing. They advertise a locking differential. Its not a true locker like GM and Ford used in muscle cars. This unit sends power to the wheel with the most traction.

Accurate gauges with numbers. I hate Ford gauges,cold-hot ,low-high. Bose stereo sounds good for a factory radio. Grease fittings, you can grease the steering linkage and ball joints. If you work on cars you know why its important. The full four doors. Plenty of rear seat room. Heated mirrors.

Intermediate steering shaft. They should have fixed it by now. External transmission coolers should be standard. The durability of the plastic chrome on the grill, This is a problem on GM,Ford and Dodge. It starts to fade and stain. Firmer shift in towing mode. Factory tailgate lock, Ford has one.

My first truck
By kevin

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE Hybrid Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Not a true hybrid, around 17.5 mpg. Great power. Handles well and I fit nicely inside- I am 6 foot 9. Nice Bose speaker system too. I easily adjusted to the engine that turns off at stops (a slight delay between brake release and engine power for acceleration)

I love the 4 a/c outlets