Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

My first truck
By kevin

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE Hybrid Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Not a true hybrid, around 17.5 mpg. Great power. Handles well and I fit nicely inside- I am 6 foot 9. Nice Bose speaker system too. I easily adjusted to the engine that turns off at stops (a slight delay between brake release and engine power for acceleration)

I love the 4 a/c outlets

Great, but in need of some perf options
By David

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Highest quality of any GM pickup I've ever owned ('74, '87, '89, '92). Not a rattle/buzz anywhere. HO 5.3L runs better than the 454 in that '74 shortbed 2wd, though I've had the PCM custom tuned and running 4.10 gears. I also changed the OEM alloys with 265/70's for 20x9.5" & 305/50 Avons. Handling astonishingly improved and quieter!

Good motor (L33), extended cab with plenty of room for average-sized adults, comfortable/convenient cloth 60/40 bench up front, no more 4wd floor lever.

Premium Bilstein shocks with better damping should be included as in former Z71's, and rack/pinion steering. Need HO 6.0L option for more power. 3.73/4.10 gears should be options on extd cab as on std cabs.

Fine Truck
By Myran

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love getting into my GMC. It is well built. It is comfortable to the people in the back seat, and it is nicely appointed.

Auto 4 wheel drive, XM satellite radio.

Improve the gauge display, and controls. The Turn Signal stick has too much on it.

Good truck!!
By steve b

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck after driving the Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I had a trade and the dealer offered me the best deal. The P rated tires that came standard with the Z-71 package were junk, so I spent a few more bucks and got the same size 17" BFG's. That dropped the mileage from 22-23-to 18-20 depending on speed but the reliability is much better. The auto transmission does seem weird at times but the all aluminum block V8 with the higher H/P is just fantastic.Overall the trans is good. I tow a light weight camp trailer and I forget it's behind me. No problems so far. 12,000 miles through all kinds of weather. For the money, best truck I ever owned and I have had a few. Good looking truck..

Steering wheel controls for the XM radio Heated mirrors and r.window. Seats are very comfortable..interior lighting Towing package.. Standard 2 tone paint and wheel flares, 17" Aluminum wheels are a nice touch. Standard fog lamps, power dr. seat and decent leather/cloth upholstery are good.

Better tires with the off-road package..Bigger and better constructed console with the bench seat. Better F&R floor mats. Bigger glove box. Remote starter would be great..XM antenna on the roof of the truck is very ugly..seems like that could be better designed. Paint quality could be improved.

Not quite professional grade
By Brian

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Doors/cab seals are too tight, shouldn't have to slam the door. Only 18 mpg, not the 20 as the window sticker says. I get better gas mileage from my '98 Suburban. Knock in the steering. AC vent door noise. Front windshield not sealed correctly. Cheap radio and even cheaper speakers sound terrible. Very uncomfortable driver seat- No adjustments. Fuse box in the way of your left foot. Very disappointed in the engineering and material quality. Very little thought went into designing this truck, only profit. The whole truck is fake, proven by the fake chrome rims. I bought this truck planning to keep it 10+ years, now I can't wait to get rid of it, ASAP.

Exterior styling, looks better than the Chevy. Roomy back seat in the crew cab. 5.3 liter has good power.

Stop changing, just to change--improve what needs to be improved and keep the good stuff. Remove the fuse box from under my left foot. This could have been a good truck- had some thought gone into it.