Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Needed work but worth it.
By murrayst45

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this in fall of 2007 with 60 thousand miles. Pumped a lot more money into it than I thought I would have to, to start out. Wheel hub bearings on both sides. Tie Rod ends. Ball joints. Air conditioner blower motor. u joints. Overhauled front brakes and rotors. This was over a course over 60 thousand more miles I have pumped into it. 122k on it now. I really do like this truck though, I do not pull very much and I love the feel behind the wheel. If it was 4x4 it would be perfect, but its very dependable and hasn't ever broken down on me on the road. I'm hoping to get several more miles out of it. Only problem now, the wheels never stay in balance or alignment and I never offroad it.

Power Interior Dependability

Steering and suspension components!!! Alignment!!

Weak drive train
By Hwy363

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Not a bad truck until the warranty was up. Before then, the only thing to go wrong was the rear door latch adjustment. It worked well in winter (western Canada), got great highway mileage and was reasonably comfortable. For the past two years the following have gone wrong: transmission replaced at 65K, 4WD position sensor replaced three times, tie rods twice, front hubs once. My mileage is 4/5 highway / 1/5 gravel. Its never been driven hard and has had very little mountain driving. Fit and finish are not great but not bad either. Accessories still all work. I bought the truck after having an Olds Alero and Saturn Ion (both had serious drive train issues). I won't buy anything from GM again.

Comfortable to ride in long distances. Great fuel economy with the 4.8. Some nice interior features. Nice looking exterior without all the over-the-top styling seen on 2005 era Fords and especially Dodges.

The great fuel mileage comes at a price. GM pushes the mileage numbers by programming the transmissions to shift to OD as much as possible which causes a lot of internal stress. Strong headwinds at 60 mph mean driving in 3rd! Weak transmissions and 4WD components just aren't up to the job.

Mostly electrical problems
By Dennis Brooks

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in 2005, have put 67k miles on it in 5 years. This is a very comfortable truck. I took it on many 300 mile trips without a rest stop, feeling like I had only driven to town. However the many electrical problems has me wondering about the quality of gmc. Less than 5k the instrument display showed "electrical malfunction". The dealership repaired and did not give me reason. Other problems are evap solenoid, power door lock, brake master cylinder, bumping in steering column, 4wd transfer case switch, speedometer would go to 0, seat heater shorted out, headlights and dash lights flicker anytime you hit brakes or use Windows. The dealer gave an extra 2 yr warr for free due to the issues

Good looking truck, the most comfortable truck I have ever owned. The cab controls with duel climate and rear seat radio controls are a life saver while traveling with wife and teenage daughter. Love the steering wheel access buttons. The Bose sound system is the best factory system I have heard.

Some friends have similar trucks with some of the same elec issues. Do some research and fix this crap before putting a msrp of 39,000 on the door glass.

Not happy for a few years
By Mike

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

When I purchased my truck almost 5 years ago, it has had a popping sound coming from the front end. It has been to the dealership 3 times, parts replaced each time. Worked well for the last couple of years, than it has started the popping again. Driver side door sounds like it is falling apart for the last 4 years. Had that repaired before and after a couple of years it is again sounding like it's falling apart. For the last 12 years I've owned 2 GMC Trucks and have enjoyed them. Since this is my second truck and I do enjoy it besides the repeating problems I wouldn't mind owning a 3rd, however the window stickers are a little out of my range now.

Long drives are comfortable. It has plenty of room inside the cab. Body style is a classic.

Start building all GM products in the US again. Have more QC personal staffed on the line.

No More GM 4 me
By LostFaithGM

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new and totally disappointed. Truck now has over 104k miles and here is list of repair. Passenger hub replaced under warranty and driver hub replaced at 76k. Trans rebuild 75k. Torque converter replaced @ 83k. Power steering has been terrible since 30k. Front diff passenger seal leaks since under warranty and driver front diff seal leaked at 101k. Now water pump gasket leak @ 103k. U-joint at T-case & drive shaft replaced at 86k. Interior makes noises and this is considered normal. Noisy cab when cruising at over 45 miles. Rust is everywhere on the chassis. My last GM light duty truck

To be honest I bought the truck because of the price. I got a great deal on it. But I guess I got what I payed for.

4 L 60E tranny is to small for truck. Should of had a 4L80E tranny. So many 4 L 60 trannys are getting rebuild way before necessary. In my case the 3-4 clutch went out so no 3 or 4. No hard driving or neutral drops damaged this tranny. Very bad design. GM uses this tranny on Colorado, Trailblazer.