Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck
By Gary

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall this was a fun truck to own and drive. The fact that I'm sitting here typing is a testiment to how well it's built. I rear ended a semi- trailer at approx 50 MPH on the ice. Bumper went under read of trailer and engine took full impact. No air bag deployment becuase of this, but I was safe and sound. My only complaint would be that ALL GM trucks 1999 to 2001 have an issue with air leakage on the passenger side, making it extremely uncomfortable for the passenger in cold climates. Despite the fact I have a repair bulletin on this GM acted dumb abouot the problem the times I called to complain.

Style, ride, power, creature comforts (except for air leak on passengers feet)

Hopefully the passenger issue will not surface on the '03 Avalanche I'm picking up this week !

GMC (Grand Ma's Chariot)
By bfrano

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Have driven on different vacations R/T East - West, North - South. Each time the grandkids were present and traveled comfortably. A good feature is that on "Antiqueing" trips, I can purchase an item and not have to worry about the cost of freighting the items. Recently, I test drove a Tahoe, Yukon, and and an Expedition because I needed a set of step sides/running boards. Afterwards, I decided to keep my GMC truck and buy the accessories.

The favorite features are the ease in driving, visual handling, and the towing for standard driving and on the interstate and metro driving. Also the utility items: cup holders, storage compartments, and overhead storage space are very convenient.

It would be nice to have better gas mileage.

2001 GMC Sierra 4WD SLE LB 5.3 Liter
By DEBORAH NICKE

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I gave lower scores on the interior design only because of the seat belts. All GM seat belts are really poorly designed for comfort. Also, all GM vehicles seem to have some kind of electrical problems or "glitches". Otherwise, this is an awesome vehicle with little or no problems. This truck does seem to lose about 1 quart of oil within the first 1,000 miles after each oil change, for some reason. I was told this is normal, however. Even if the synthetic oil is used, it will lose about a quart & needs to be added before next change schedule after about 3,000 miles.

Power! This truck has power and acceleration that makes you feel like you're blasting off from Earth in a rocket. Sweet! Also, I feel very safe in this vehicle. The 4WD is a huge plus in the Michigan winters. This truck will drive through 5 feet of snow like butter.

Seat belts! GM needs to fire the guy who currently designs or supplies the seat belts and get someone that knows what they are doing! For comfort as well as just functioning properly. Especially the front passenger side, it's almost intolerable to wear & keeps you plastered to the seat!

excellent vehicle
By kbgmc

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2001 GMC Sierra ext. cab 5.3 liter,
38,000 miles. Excellent truck, no
problems, the 5.3 is quick. mpg not
the best, only 16.5-17. no problems.
recommend GMC to anyone.

bucket seats

none

Big Man Review
By craig_allen

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck new. I'm over 300
lbs. We are 2 adults, retired with one
vehicle to drive. Therefore confort,
reliability, etc all have to be in the
top of the scale. We have pulled fith
wheel Travel trailer with this truck
around SE USA wirh no problems. I
expect we were close to 13K going down
the road. Always performed like a
champ. Only minor service things; 1)
Daylight lamps had to be replaced. 2)
OEM Tires replaced before 40K miles
with Michlien LTX. 3)Drivers seat
frame broke, replaced under extended
warranty. I did have reservation about
pulling TT, but there has never been a
problem associated with this. PS Note
having been a one TRUCK famil

We bought truck for interior roominess. Push button 4wh Drive is Great.