Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

very reliable
By outtatime1

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 2WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The best car/truck Ive ever owned. I trust it to go anywhere.Has towing package but anything 7000-8000lbs fells like a struggle for the engine. Like the 4 wheel disc brakes.Factory a/c delco batteries gave trouble(leaked acid). In 91k miles only 1 visit to dealer to repair abs warning light(abs unit died). The drive train is good(change limited slip gear lube every 30k miles) or limited slip rear can stay locked up after a hard acceleration.)Truck has been lowered 2-4 inches (It sits nice, not too low). Installed airlift load assist air bags for towing/hauling (highly recommended!) Flowmaster 70 series dual side exhaust system. 20 inch centerline wheels. The truck 'Ive always wanted. Very happy.

Exterior styling, good paint, very reliable, consistant engine performance, towing package is handy to have. Complete full guage set in instrument cluster, no fluid leaks ever.

Transmission shift program a little funky under certain conditions. Have to keep lubricating intermediate shaft for noise. Factory a/c delco batteries leak and die premature.

I will cry the day I sell it
By a misplaced Texan

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

5.3L V8 is a damn powerful engine! More so with a few aftermarket goodies. We absolutely love this truck, chose it for being much sexier than Chevy counterpart. I am a street truck enthusiast, and appreciate that the aftermarket is chock full of parts/accessories for my truck/engine. I only marked down on comfort b/c you can find a roomier back seat in a smaller truck (Dodge Dakota Quad Cab). We have two kids in car seats and I am a six-footer, so the back is getting pretty cramped. Also I thought the SLE should have fancier "upgraded" materials in the interior. Fuel economy is not great, but better than you'd expect from an engine that size - a little maintenance goes a long way in this truck.

1) The whine of the air passing through the K&N intake and throttle body spacer. 2) The growl of that 5.3 comin out the Gibson cat-back exhaust. 3) Speed controlled volume on radio is kinda cool too.

You can't improve upon perfection! Unless GMC decides to build them with the 572!

GMC Sierra
By BJ Kirk

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck with traveling in mind. Haven't retired yet, but we drive the truck every day and also driven it during vacations. Its equipped with a vortec 5.3L engine; in our opinion one of the best; along with many ammenities. We've driven it for 5 yrs and it's reliability is second to none. The cruise control is simple to use and the large bucket seats are comfortable. Also like the tilt steering wheel.

We like the ammenities the truck was built with. Some features were remote control outside mirrors, power windows, door locks, driver & passenger power seats which are very comfortable, am/fm radio w/CD player, 4 wheel drive and its a pleasure to drive.

If we had it to do over again, we probably would buy this truck with 4 doors instead of the extended cab. But at the time, the dealership sold us the truck for a reasonable price.

I love this truck
By drgroth1

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck cross country several times, a few of these trips required towing another car behind. I went through Colorado and had no trouble keeping up with the rest of the traffic even though I was fully loaded and towing a loaded car behind me up the mountains. I have driven in snow in Minnesota and even though I do not have four wheel drive I did not have any problems, I did have snow tires installed. I get 20mpg, which is great for a truck. I cannot say enough good about this vehicle.

GMC Sierra 01
By brian

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had very limited troubles with this truck. It is a little harder on batteries due to the heated seats, etc. but that is the price you pay for the luxury. The OnStar option seems nice, but I have not taken advantage of it. I believe the SLT is the (affordable) Cadillac of trucks. I look forward to being able to upgrade to a crew cab soon.

Tow Haul, 4WD, heated seats, enjoyable to drive, smooth ride

The control knobs for the radio tend to fall off easily. GM leather could use some improvement- at least with that year model. The ride tends to get a little noisy with age- I believe this is due to the back windows not keeping a good seal.