Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Nice truck
By M & K

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like my truck. Pretty good gas mileage for a V-8 (about 18-21 city and 22-24 highway). Comfy ride. A few problems with the rear driveline. Had to replace both u-joints about 6 months ago and now it is squeaking and clanking again. Rear axle probably needs to be rebuilt. 3-rd door is nice, but back seat as a little smaller than I'd like. Pretty good power and towing capabilities. Heater is bad- not very warm and I have to put it on high to even feel any air flow.

4wd, bench seat so my woman can sit next to me, 3rd door, good sized bed for an SB.

Front end sag, rear axle issues

My 2000 GMC Sierra Experience
By RidgeRunner

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been exceptionally reliable and dependable. I have had other older similar trucks (Chevy) but this truck is better. In 6 years, only one 4x4 switch on the dash has failed me. It is fun to drive and very functional, comfortable and well designed.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4 x 4
By Mike

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had my truck for 6 years, and I still love it. It's been a great work truck, and has the comfort of driving a car. It's been great in both the snow and mud, and has never had a problem. It's definitely a keeper. The only thing that I wish is that I would have gotten the rear window defogger, and the 4th door.

Tons of power and a smooth comfortable ride that's great for long trips in the mountains.

A real leather back seat, and better gas mileage would be nice.

Great GMC truck z71
By lawrence forester

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I loved this truck. It did everything I wanted it to do. The only reason I want to sell it is I am a realtor and need a car to show houses in.

Comfort. Heated seats. High view. Performance

Slowly falling apart
By jcat_70

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 for 4 years. Although, I must say, the engine and trans were reliable, partly because I used Mobil 1 synth. oil and never beat on it. Other things with the truck started to fall apart, i.e., the ABS system would intermittently go off at less than 5mph on dry surfaces, the fuel gauge would start and stop working, the right side mirror was flopping around in the wind, the tailgate handle (plastic) broke off when opening the tailgate one day. The brakes were terrible - including the rotors and way too much distance was needed to stop. The driver's door lock got jammed and wouldn't lock no anymore. Power window linkage broke. Radio lights quit working. too much!

5.3L V8 engine with lots of power and very reliable.

Way better reliability on gadgets and accessories needed! Also, the throttle pedal would stick every year! That was very irritating.