Used 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Very reliable and FUN to drive

EJA, 07/10/2002
K1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has awesome power with the 5.7 engine. It has also been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. The speed speed controlled radio volume can't be beat. You will know what I meen if you travel the open road frequently; turning up the volume at high speeds....turning it down at toll booths. Now, with this feature, I adjust it when I get in and THATS IT! Unfortunatly, for those like me, without the 3rd door, getting into the back seat is a challenge for adults, plus it lacks leg room. On the other hand, it is great for kids. It's guaranteed my next vehicle will be another GMC Sierra.

Transmission Wary

Medic31, 10/14/2002
K1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The transmission started shifting hard at about 48,000 miles. After a transmission service, it totally burned up the new fluid after about 8-9,000 miles. The dealer's service department was absolutely no help. It was replaced for about $725.00. At about 51,000 miles it started doing the same thing again. This time, GM and the dealer were no help. We then came in contact with a transmission place in Reno, NV and they informed us this was a common problem with these trucks and was due to a GM design defect of a small $21.70 switch in the torque converter. They replaced this switch for less than $400.00 about 9 months ago and we've had no more problems.

Jusbob Says

jusbob, 10/19/2002
C1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

at 75000 intake man gasket leaked, was told it was common on these.plugs bad .used oil. 75.oo to test. justto tell what was wrong,but cost 127.50 instead. all this was supposed to be good for 100000 miles.all fixed now, after about 600.00. just hope it stops using oil!!!! Helpfull hints; buy a ford !!!!!!!

No complaints

JGraham, 10/13/2003
C1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab SB

In the 3 years that I've owned this truck, I've had to do brakes once and one tune up (plugs, wires & a cap), nothing else. My truck has teh 4.3L V6, and a 5sp manual tranny. No word of a lie: in the summer I get 20 miles to the gallon, and the rest of the year she gets about 19 to 19.5miles to the gallon. It is a 2 wheel drive truck, so (living in New Hampshire) I've been forced to get a set of tire chains so that I can crawl out of almost anything, and it works.

Completely Satisfied

Boomstik, 07/13/2004
C1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

Purchase truck at 40k. I now have 110k on this vehicle. Replace the tranny 10k ago. Replace intake manifold gasket, corroded hose connection twice. Other typical consumable items have been replaced. I was a little disappointed with the transmission replacement but otherwise the truck runs great and takes quite a beating.

12345...7