Used 2002 GMC Safari Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Safari for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Vehicle

Bob, 02/17/2007

I bought the GMC Safari new in 2002 because I needed a vehicle that would haul our stuff to our cabin in Northern Michigan which also had All Wheel Drive for the mud and snow we frequeny encounter. The truck based Safari was the perfect answer and it has proven to be just that. After 108,000 miles, the only repair it has needed was a an alternator during the first year covered by warranty. Too bad there isn't a comparable vehicle available today. Guess I'll keep it. It's still strong and I expect at least 250,000 miles out of it.

Good, Comfy, Van

Kyle Brautigan, 04/17/2004

I have owned these vans since they came out in 1985. The are roomier, more powerful, and capable than most other minivans on market. These vans have always been reliable besides for a few minor problems. We had to replace brakes at 15,000 miles and GMC wouldn't cover it under warranty which made me angry and made me wonder what the warranty was for.I like the truck- like sensation and this is no woss minivan. The ride is harsh over rough surfaces and it doesn't handle as well as car-based minivans. The interior is cheap plastic and poorly made. Even in the uplevel SLT it is lacking luxury features.

Love it - on my second one

akgirl, 06/03/2008

During the Alaskan winters the side door is great. We all pile in shut the door keep warm and then buckle up. Three kids and friends always fit very comfortable. Lots of room for everyone and their stuff and I can still get groceries.

Safari: The Un-Minivan

Tahoe086, 05/12/2002

The Safari is a Mid-Van so I wont have to say its a Mini-Van any way...the V-6 offers great power for a minivan and the towing compacity is great and needed...I am also pleased to note that it is Rear wheel drive which is AWESOME!!

Very Good Mini-Van... Great Value!

HeatherB, 06/11/2004

Great family vehicle. Reliable and comfortable.

Average Car

tbuchler, 02/03/2004

I've had problems with my Safari. The sliding psgr door and rear hatch either stick or won't open. Took it to the dealer to get resolved still have same problem. Recently had problems with transmission and oil cooling lines leaking only at 42000 miles. Not impressed with fuel economy or front leg room. I am 6'2 and wife is 5'7". It does pull are 3300 lb popup camper great which is our main reason for buying it.

good

greene, 03/23/2002

nice van

When A Minivan Just Won't Do ...

Roadapple, 06/10/2002

This is AWD Safari #2 for us (the '97 got a bit tired at 137k), and its a great family vehicle for long trips, especially in bad weather. No other AWD van has this much room, and especially cargo room, even when traveling with a full load of 8 people. We put 35k+ miles a year on this vehicle, and its tough enough to take it -- wouldn't buy anything else, especially for the money. Only flaw is front end offset crash test results -- could do much better.

A Do-it-All Vehicle

NJGuy07719, 08/04/2002

I looked at almost every full-size SUV and they were all to expensive and had limited cargo room. Suddenly, I saw the GMC Safari. The Safari does it all and does it well. It has more cargo room than a Ford Expedition and a Chevy Surburban and it was $12,000+ cheaper than either of the two. The only options I did NOT get were AWD, leather, and the homelink. I use my Safari to transport DJ equipment, tow a 27 foot boat, and take Sunday drives with family & friends. I average 16 MPG city and 21-22 hwy, thanks to a K&N filter and a Dynomax muffler. My only complaint is front legroom. Since I am 5'7", its not too bad.

Consumer

Tuong Huynh, 08/17/2002

You get more for your money.

good ride

emald, 12/14/2002

2002 gmc safari has been a fine vehicle for my family. We have had zero problems with it. Here in Alaska the AWD and Anti lock brakes have been just the thing. With studed tires on it just won't be stopped.

My sweet Ride

Judith, 06/11/2019
SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I am a woman who is 64 years old. I have had my Safari Van a few years now and I have had no trouble with it. It is quiet, smooth riding, seats are GREAT but could use better leg room in the front Captain seats. Also My legs are shorter so I would like the gas pedal up higher. some times I use my tippy toes to reach the gas pedal. but in order to have leg room, I have to have my driver seat back as far as it goes. Same thing happens on the passenger side in front.. not enough leg room. I love my Van and every vehicle has something to complain about but my only complaint is the front seat leg room..

51050