Used 2000 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Not a favorite
By HEIDI

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used. Had a 1995 Villager that need some money be put into it so figured would be better off with a newer vehicle. Well I was wrong. In the year since I have purchased this I have spent more money in repairs then I would have had to do to the Villager. Plus now a monthly payment. Fuel pump, hubs both sides, passenger needs it done again. Ball joints, brakes done right before I bought, needs COMPLETE brake job again. It's nice looking and good in the snow but that's about it. Dont buy. They are horrible.

Good in snow, nice to look at.

Average in all regards
By gmcjimmy2000

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Got my 2000 Jimmy when it had 32,000 miles. Overall, I've liked it, although it's been about average in all regards. Had to do little maintenance repairs pretty frequently ($100 here, $70 there), and "major" repairs have included front rotor and fuel pump, which hurt the pocketbook. Also own a Toyota, which has more miles on it but has required fewer repairs, which doesn't build confidence in the Jimmy. Like the engine for a V6 and the vehicle is fun to drive. Interior is average, back seats not too comfortable for full-sized person. Lots of room with rear seats folded down.

Engine, looks good, storage space,

Needs to be more reliable

fuel pumps stink!
By cranky

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put more into the jimmy then I paid for it. Im surprised I didn't see the fuel pump mentioned more. It has cost me 1200 alone. The ball joints are also a problem but do to roads where I live. I replace them myself to cut cost. I also had electrical problems and replaced the mass air flow sensor 2x. Over all gas mileage good comp to 98 ply voyager mini van. I enjoy driving it when it's running and it hasn't left me stranded w/ 3 kids. Also back seat too small for 2 kids w/ car seats.

driver comfort, over all handling. Heat and A/C.

Fuel pump, electrical, suspension

Time to unload it
By redman

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Bought it in 01 with 19000 miles and overall has been a good, dependable ride. Gas mileage is a surprising 23 MPG hwy. Fuel gauge failed, brakes every 20000 miles, and currently having electrical problems(windows, door locks and mirrors quit occassionally). My daughter hit a deer last night so may take insurance settlement and unload it. Will buy another GMC however.

4 wheel drive and MPG.

Brakes and fuel pump.

Very Fun; Few Problems
By acam1

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in Sept. 2008, and now it is Apr. 2009. It has, so far, been an amazing vehicle. Yes, it's had a few problems, but it was just normal wear-and-tear (rusty differential cover, O2 sensors, old block heater line). Overall, this vehicle is good, but not for its city driving. On average, I received about 9 - 12 mpg city, 13 - 16 highway, which is about what the much larger Tahoe/Yukon gets now. Offroad, it is extremely fun. I do prefer the much larger SUVs though, and that was my biggest regret in buying the Jimmy, although this so-called "mid-size" SUV (it is pretty long, actually) has proven to be extremely substantial and capable. Just take care of it and it runs fine!

Look of the Jimmy models the older ('92 - '99) Tahoe/Yukon, which I love. The surprising winter handling was amazing as well--I just trecked through the snow, even without winter tires! Love how the back-row seats fold flat, just hate how raised the cargo-bed area was though (due to the spare tire).

I would've loved to see the interior re-vamped. The style was very plain and repetitive--design should've followed the 2002-2006 Tahoe/Yukon interior as well. More power, especially during take off should be improved. Option for 3rd-row seat (2- seater 3rd row would've been likely).