Used 2005 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Envoy XL

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

2005 Envoy
By JJS

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Really good experience overall. Only trouble was satellite radio system. We had to change it out under warranty at dealership. No other problems encountered.

CD player, dashboard layout, engine compartment. V-6 engine uses no oil at all.

Needs grease zerts underneath for all the major ball joints & connections. I still don't know where the fuel filter is on my Envoy XL.

2005 Envoy XL
By J. Stark

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

No major problems w/ vehicle. Only service work done to date was to replace the original radio in dash.

Sun roof, plate protection of oil filter & pan,

I wish it had grease fittings underneath, but it has not been a problem thus far.

Highway MPG not as promised
By Skiwhack

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2001 Isusu Trooper anniversary edition for the Envoy XL for the 3rd row and better highway mileage est. of 18 mpg., o4 better than I was getting with the trooper. I drive consistent hwy speeds for 39 miles each way and only maxed out at 14.2 mpg. Anybody else experiencing the same thing? I'm considering having the dealer look at this because that is the claim for city mileage not highway and will trade in the lease for something with better fuel efficiency.

Telematics, OnStar, 3rd row seating

Fuel efficiency, acceleration & soft suspension

Great on Long Trips
By Rick

2005 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We recently drove from CT to FL & back. A very good experience. Seats never got uncomfortable & multiple adjustments & heating are great. The ride was pretty smooth & quiet. Very easy to drive for long periods. You feel some vibrations/bumps, but this is a truck and not a true luxury car. We wanted the extra cargo space of the XL vs. the extra seating, but it is nice to know it is there. We actually think there is more leg room in the 3rd row than the 2nd. Plenty of gadgets to keep everyone busy (rear DVD especially). We averaged about 20MPG (up to 22MG at slower speeds) even when fully loaded & going 70-75 MPH. Has the cargo & people space of a large SUV in a manageable mid-size package.

Bose stereo, NAV, power seat adjustments & memory option, rear DVD system, DoD V8 engine (really works), exhaust rumble (especially at startup), all the “luxury car” features. The rear glass opens separately from the whole door. My wife loves the hands free calling with the OnStar system.

A little more leg room in the second row. More storage space (like holder for glasses) and better cup holders. Better head lights (they aren’t very bright & don’t have good coverage) the high beams aren’t very good either. Be able to play CD while using the NAV system.

2005 Envoy XL 3rd row
By ben kinsman

2005 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The in-line 6 cylinder has good pickup with its 275 horsepower. We went on a trip the week we bought our Envoy, so I filled the 25 gal. tank and hit the road. To be as big as the XL model is, it did great on gas. We drove from Columbus GA. to Chattanooga Tenn. and back to Atlanta before we had to get gas. That's about 450 miles or more driving on the highway and around downtown in traffic.

My favorite feature is the OnStar. It saved my wife from calling a lock smith when she locked her keys in the Envoy.

The only improvement that I would like to happen is to put cruise control and radio volume on the steering wheel.