Used 2004 GMC Envoy XL Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:

Envoy XL Review
By DJ

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Envoy XL. It handles easily and even with the base 6 cylinder engine has more then enough horsepower for driving around the city. It has performed extremely well in trips to the coast and through the mountains. The only complaint so far has to be a terrible odor that comes from the air vents. It is extremely noticable in the summer time, and seems to be caused by mold build-up. My GM dealer has cleaned it out several times, but hasn't found the cure for it yet. Otherwise a strong and family- friendly vehicle with enough room in the 3rd row seats for my 2 boys to stretch out in and actually be comfortable.

Fix the smell problem that my service technician tells me has been a problem for awhile on these trucks, then recall the vehicles to solve it once and for all.

The first/last GM vehicle I will own
By NPR_Florida

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has some great features. I really like it. However, it has had some huge electronic issues such as the fuse module welding itself to the brain of the vehicle (almost a fire hazard), constant AC problems in both the forward and rear modules, and many other problems. Should have gone with Europe/Japan, will know next time.

AC, when it works.

Reliability of the electronics

Problems
By Josh

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Envoy for 2 years and we have had the ignition switch go out about 3 times an the front and rear air conditioning quit working about 2 times.

My favorite features are the V-8 and the comfortable ride.

I think that it needs a lot of improvements on the electrical side of it.

Great
By Deborah K. Gaines

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I live in a snowy area and I have been extremely pleased with the performance in snow and on slippery roads. It makes small u-turns. I have found it to be rather economical. All of my friends and family constantly ask to use it for moving and furniture pick ups. My car is not fancy but very useful and easy to drive. The ride is nice and not bouncy. It is also easy to get in and out of and parks very easily. My work is rain or shine, snow or sleet and I feel very safe and secure in my Envoy. I am 60 years old have driven Cadillacs, Buicks, Dodges and Chryslers. I feel this is the best of them all.

See above.

The only improvement I would suggest is that the front does not have enough room for me, and my purse if I have a passenger in the front. It would be nice if the 2nd row of seats could flatten out to the floor and not sit up so high.

My Envoy
By Mrs.Green

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My husband bought my 2004 GMC Envoy XL from a Chevrolet Dealer but it was a tester from GM. This meant I had every option on my Envoy. Although at the end of this year I will probably trade-in I might get another Envoy XL. I also like the 7 seats for when I'm hauling my grandkids.

BOSE, Heated Seats, Pwr. Lumbar, Sunroof