Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Canyon

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Canyon z71 crew 4x4
By CrazyEyez

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I just got the truck in October already has 4110 miles on it and I got it with 88 miles on it. Fuel mileage really stunk at first, but as with other owners I’ve talked to, it’s getting better as it breaks in some more. The ride is pretty good, though it is stiff being that mine is the 4x4 z-71. Handling is pretty good for a truck. The inline-5 motor has plenty of power, but it lacks in a good strong sound. The engine, though more powerful then the old 4.3L v-6, doesn’t sound as powerful as the v-6. I drove a 4.3L powered 2000 Blazer 4x4 4door, and I am missing that extra 25lb-ft of torque that the 4.3L has over the inline-5. And though I haven’t had a chance to, 4wd seems pretty strong.

Feels like a bigger truck when I drive it, but handles like a smaller truck. 4wd system seems very capible, though I haven't tried it out too hard. Talked to others that have, it works pretty good.

Power does not equal to the inline-6 minus one cylinder. Stock horn was weak and died after I washed the truck and got it too wet. Bed needs more cargo capacity. Bed could be wider, can't hold plywood side-to-side down between wheel wells.

Nice Little Truck
By Phil

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Body styling, fuel economy, interior quietness. I love the engine MPG and performance. Fun to drive, gauges and controls are straight-forward and no- nonsense. Crew cab will easily hold 4 adults, but forget about 3 adults in the back seat. AC is very good - even in 110 deg heat.

I ordered the best leather seats available and they are uncomfortable at best - no lateral support. The lumbar adjustment is useless. Center console is small and cheap-looking. I'd give the Canyon a "10" rating if GM would do a better job on the seats and center console!!

Perfect small truck
By Andy

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have taken this truck across the US twice going from Florida, to Maine, back to Florida, and then to Michigan. I've gotten as much as 24 MPG at 75 MPH with 5 people, and luggage. I hauled a 3000lb trailer from Florida to Michigan with no problems, and got 17 MPG while doing it. No problems on climbing steep hills in Tennesee, or with braking. I love this truck. It is perfectly powered for a small truck. It has also performed excellant during the Michigan winter with it's traction control, even in my steep driveway with snow.

Smooth powerful engine with good fuel economy. Nice ride, especially on highway.

Upgrade towing capacity to 5000lbs. Make a standard cab with an 8 ft bed. Design one with a small turbo diesel for even better power, and towing capability.

Canyon a Great ride
By Greg

2005 GMC Canyon 2dr Regular Cab Z85 SL Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th compact truck and by far the best. My last was a Japanese brand- mistake. Interior convenience is so much better and the seat material so much more durable. I have a low end version with 4 cyl and auto, the power is suprising and I still get 16 mpg around town.

Automatic headlights, speed sensitive radio.

Throaty sounding exhaust

Good Mid-sized Truck
By RSWARD

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Very happy with the truck. Like the I5 engine, good acceleration, fun to drive, gas mileage is around 17 (city). Get compliments on the vehicle. Would have liked a better turning radius. Interior plain and simple. Otherwise very happy with the truck and got a good deal on it with all the rebates.

Fun to drive, good acceleration, 4wd, good visibility.

Turning radius