Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Canyon

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

Engine /electrical problems
By marc

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase it was noted to have bad water leakage on the passager side under the dash that shorted out the OnStar system and caused the computer to error. Problem was found to be a bad lead seam over the windshield. Computer error causes one of the cylinders to runs rich, crack in exhaust manifold, now getting only 11 mpg. Remote failure also, attempted to open the door with key and found that the tumblers in the door and back gate had been missed keyed. Lots of problems with remote entry system and electrical connectors under vehicle rusting loss of plate lights and other exterior lights. Vehicle only 18 month old and GM providing little help.

The truck is a good size and fills and function but is under powered and low mileage in the 5 cyl. type

GM should extend warrent coverage to exhaust manifold and electrical problems if they want to keep return buyers

Frustrated with Canyon
By Kristen

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z85 SLE Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! What frustration with this truck. I love the looks of it and wanted it to be the best. However, it's been to the shop at least 10 times. At 25,000 the engine and head went bad so they put a new one in. Luckily it was under warranty. Now, at 65,000 miles the head is bad again! Within 25,000 miles, the brakes and tires needed replaced. Like others I've noticed the air conditioning system is not good and doesn't cool very well. In addition, my CD player is broke. I've done every suggested GM service at the mileage marks to keep it in top shape but it didn't work. I'm in the process of looking for a new truck and contacting GM. Very dissappointing!

Front end design, Nice size for a compact truck.

Engine! Air conditioning system, arm rests inside

Stone
By Pete Stone

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

I like the traction control, the smooth ride and handling on and off road. I like the CD player, XM radio, and the OnStar. My favorite feature is the looks of the truck with the Off Road package.

Could use better material on the seats. I will get leather next time. I don't like the General tires, I prefer Goodyear or Bridgestone.

Good All-Around Truck
By Dan

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I traded a 2002 Blazer for my '05 Canyon. The Canyon has great mileage for a 4x4 truck; interstate travel is about 24mpg, 19mpg around town. My 3.5L I-5 does great for fuel but compromises in towing. Pennsylvania winters are no problem, it does great in a lake effect snow storm! At 76,000 I haven't had any major work outside of normal wear and tear. I drive the truck everyday and it fits my lifestyle great, including many outdoor activities. I try to not use it like a work truck. I still get compliments at the gas pump! Speaking for the crew cab, I would highly recommend this truck

Z71 SLE package adds a great look with stainless tube steps, fog lights, and painted fender flairs. Upgraded stereo with 6 disc changer and XM makes long rides nice. Gas mileage is excellent for a truck. Many accessories available through GM.

Other trucks in the same class have more comfortable front bucket seats. The rear seat (in my crew cab) does not fold in a way that allows for more storage. OnStar seems obselete with todays cell phones.

Overall a good truck but has some issues
By John

2005 GMC Canyon 4dr Extended Cab Z85 SL 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a great medium sized truck but there are the usual GM fit and finish issues. The turning radius is ridiculous and cause many parking lot problems. The radio is probably the worst piece of junk I have found in any vehicle.The radio is an easy fix with aftermarket units. The turning radius is not curable. Experienced a few rattles, could be tighter.

Comfortable, roomy interior. I have cloth seats which are very comfortable.

Turning radius and radio-worst features. One is easily fixed by the aftermarket but you're stuck with the other.