Used 2011 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 GMC Acadia

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Luxury SUV without the quality - at a luxury price
By Not a fan

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First I'll just say straight-up...My husband is a GMC truck guy -- swears by them! -- and talked me into buying the Acadia instead of a foreign-made SUV. That said, this SUV doesn't meet my expectations. I call it The Beast... say no more! I purchased it used with 96,000 miles. CARFAX showed that it had been a one owner lease for four years. I was upgrading from a 2002 Volvo XC70 I'd driven for 10 years and loved. I was looking at the Volvo XC90, but decided on the Acadia since it offers the extra room for an active family of five (and a dog!), and the convenience of 2nd row captains chairs to allow easy access to the third row. The 3rd row seating is small, but offers more leg room than other vehicles with 3rd row that I'd tested. It's very good for anyone with children under 12 who can get back there and buckle themselves in. We got the DVD system, but occasionally it doesn't play DVDs that it has played before, then on another day it will play them. This isn't covered under extended warranty, and there have been so many other mechanical issues on a regular basis that I really don't want to put money into fixing it. The heat and fan selector knobs are covered with stickers that are peeling off. Cheesy, GMC! The quality of leather for seating seems to be good at least, but the style of the seats is flat and not luxurious. Not enough lumbar support for longer drives. The heated seats work great, so I use them to ease my back when I'm traveling more than a few miles. The seat belts seem to function without sticking. Bluetooth allows you to switch between phones with voice command. I have to use AUX cable for my music and/or audiobooks, which is ridiculous. The AUX in jack is easy to access, but I've spent a lot on new cables over 16 months of owning the Acadia. The headlight bulbs need to be changed by going through the wheel wells, requiring tools, patience, and skinny arms. You can't see what you're doing. Same for charging the air conditioning. Thank goodness for YouTube! Now for performance: Braking, shifting, and hugging the road are good. I'm a 45 year old mom, so I don't drive it like a maniac. The brake pedal is squeaky every time I'd use it, and the garage couldn't fix the squeak when it was brought in for routine maintenance. Annoying, but not a huge deal. Steering seems to have more play than I'd like. It is, after all, essentially a truck with lots of seating room. Like a truck, it can be hard to get in/out of for children, older folks, or others with mobility issues. For a luxury vehicle, it's noisy enough that you have to speak loudly or turn up the radio to cover the tire noise. Plus, you really feel the bumps on anything other than the highway. The traction control/Stabilitrak warning has been an issue. Even after taking it to the GMC shop four times in 16 months, it comes back on saying to service it. Also in 16 months, The Beast has ALL new brakes, rotors, struts, and an alternator. When it was in for an inspection ($1600 later) the mechanic showed me another $2000 in work that will need to be done within the next year or it won't pass inspection. He's a friend of the family, so I trust that these are serious issues and he's not running a game on me! In fact, he told me to find something within the next year before we've overspent in fixing the darn thing! It seems to chew up tires (it came with new, but we had to replace the tires in just a year), and I believe this is something to do with the Stabilitrak issues the dealership can't seem to fix. The Acadia offers little storage because of the 3rd row seat, but I do like the ease of flipping down the split seating and pulling it back up. That is better than most cars I've driven. The things I like best about the Acadia: power tailgate, ease of access to 3rd row seating, and drives really well in snow/sleet. The things I like least about the Acadia: AVERAGE of 16mpg. Which means in city driving I'm getting around 13mpg. OUCH! That is NOT what I'd read online and NOT what's stated in the specs. It's got a cheaply made interior for a luxury-ish vehicle. And finally, I dislike the incredibly poor resale or trade-in value. Essentially, in a year and a half of not really loving this vehicle, I wanted to trade in The Beast, or sell it to get something better on gas. Not so easy! It turns out that dealerships *and* Edmunds.com are telling me that it's only worth about half what we paid for it 16 months ago. Nobody wants these things! So I'm stuck with driving and paying off this crappy SUV, or rolling over the amount owed after trade-in into a different vehicle. It just got out of the shop in July and is already making another expensive-sounding noise, so I am afraid that is going to be my bad luck. Summary: NOT A FAN! Buyer beware!

Maintenance costs out of control
By Peter

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The frequency and exorbitant cost of maintenance has made the Acadia our worst car purchase to date. After a couple domestic vehicles in high school and college, my wife and I have both owned only imports since (Toyota, Acura, Nissan, two Audis). But we were happy to buy domestic once again. Detroit, we thought, was back. Or so people said. The Acadia shined during our test drives. The configuration of the seats (2nd-row buckets & 3-seat third row) was a big selling point for our growing family. We liked the vehicle's size and styling. It seemed comfortable. So, we bought it. It's my wife's vehicle. It was a huge financial mistake. For comparison's sake: I drive an Audi that has almost identical mileage (about 70k) and is one year older. The Acadia is in the shop about 3x as often for repairs big and small. The cumulative cost of the Acadia repairs has been about 4x that of the Audi. Seemingly routine repairs on the Acadia are overly involved. For example, replacing a headlamp requires you remove the wheel well liner, loosen the bumper and loosen the grill. There are a couple dozen bolts to remove or loosen just to get to the bulb. The A/C condenser was leaking, and it required two days in the shop, as they had to disassemble the dash to get to the condenser. Almost $2k. The timing chain is now failing. That will be more than $2k. Going in, I would have assumed maintenance on a German import would outstrip that of a domestic, but it isn't even close. Detroit is not back. GMC is not back. In fact, I hate GMC with every fiber of my being. We'll be reluctant to trade in this car sooner much than anticipated, but we'll be relieved to be back into a less costly, more reliable import.

Acadian
By Bob McElroy

2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Major comfort. Milage not really as advertised- best milage on highway when going over the speed limit.

just buy it
By Alex

2011 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

just buy it

Acadia
By Doyle McAda

2011 GMC Acadia SL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)