Used 1992 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1992 Geo Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

living within your means
By livin large life

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. They quit making this car because it was to economical and reliable. 16 years and 230,000 miles with less than 200 dollars in parts, that is what I call having your cake and eating it too. I only wish that I could buy a new one today. This is my primary vehicle, which I own several new ones that cannot compare all around.

comfort level for what it is, reliability, cost to operate

door handle broke,window off track but show me anything that was built 15 years ago that you can compare to my metro

Best car I've ever owned
By Robert D. Hardison

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought this Geo Metro new, and I have 210,000 miles on it. It uses no oil between 3,000 mile changes. The only repairs I've had are 3 timing belts (the old ones looked like new) I did this myself, one starter after 195,000 miles, one distributer sensor. My first timing belt cost $9.97, last one cost $19.97, -no other repairs. My gasoline mileage is tops 61 MPG, low 41 mpg (town only). I have a new Nissan 6 cyl Nissan Altima, but I will never sell my Geo Metro, as I use it 90% of the time.

Gas mileage, usually about 57 MPG, looks, tire wear lasts so long, Speed 70 to 85 MPH on interstate (usually 75 MPH), very low repair.

I have no improvements suggested on this car at the price I paid for it.

322,000 on chassis 2nd eng&3rd tranny
By avionicbug

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I love my Metro I have had it 12 years I put 222,000 miles on it since i bought it.I installed a motorcycle muffler and it sounds and performs great. I drive 88 miles a day.It is so easy to work on changing the eng or tranny in a few hours. It to me is both pricelss and worthless at the same time. I would not sell it for $4000 I am planning on seeing 1,000,000 miles. I laugh at the $4.00 gas and big SUV's

gas mileage. I have been driving 55 for the last 3 months and am getting around 55 mpg, It has a c/d and A/C what more do you need when its just you commuting

start making them again

Best car I've ever owned
By Bob Hardison

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Geo Metro new in Oct. 1991 as a 1992 model. I have a little over 208,000 miles on it, and it has never been overhauled and does not use any oil between changes at 3000 miles. The only repairs needed since purchase is the starter at 148,000 miles, and the front struts at Sears at about 100,000 mi with a lifetime warranty, and a replacement (no charge) at 201,000 mi. I still get average 33 mpg in town, and 47 mpg on a trip. I've replaced front wheel brakes myself twice (about $20.00). I will never sell or trade this car and I love driving it better than my new Nissan Altima, and I do drive it more. My Geo is a 5 speed manual. I replace the timing belt myself about every 60K miles.

Gas mileage, tire cost for 12" tires (last 60,000 mi.) Interstate speed as it keeps equal with everyone. The road test says 100 MPH, and I know it will do it. I drive at 70-75 on interstate.

I don't want or need any improvements. The ride and seating is great and I am 6,1". I didn't adjust the brakes until I had 85,000 mi. on it. I have replaced the brakes twice. It starts instantly. I do have to use the medium grade gasoline to prevent pinging.

My Geo
By harmony

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

Excellent mileage and comfort. Everyone yells "cute car" as I go buy so it always feels very good to be driving this car. I've owned it since it was new.

Fun to drive. Like to have the top down. Excellent mileage. It's cute.

Audio system isn't very good.