Used 2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Poor quality
By Ford - never again

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Seems like this car knew it had passed the 3 year / 36,000 mile mark and started to disintegrate. Catalog of problems, many electrical: in-dash CD changer won't eject, rear windows open & close when they feel like it, electric sliding doors: one opens occasionally & the other won't close completetly, steerng motor howls like a werewolf.

Ride comfort, design

Build it better and maybe I'll come back! Otherwise, you've cured me of buying Ford; my next car will be a Honda.

Buyers beware... Be very aware!
By Just say NO!!!!

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this used nightmare, from one of the largest Ford dealers in the country. We were attracted by its good looks and many great family options like the entertainment package. I had owned a 1998 windstar before, which was a complete lemon (transmission failure) but I had heard Ford greatly improved this van (false) we only owned this 2003 windstar van for 7 months as of yesterday when we traded it in at the Toyota dealership. Just can't afford to put any more alternators, batteries, electrical components on this van to keep it going with 60,000 miles plus I didnt even get into the from end shimming at road speeds. Low cost to buy but ridiculous ownership cost to keep on the road.

vhs,power doors, Good looks

These vans are no longer produced for a reason.

Dissapointed owner
By Estella Delgado

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchansed and have enjoyed this vehicle until recently when the van with only 70,000 miles on it broke down and we are told that it needs a new transmission. We cannot believe this has happened. It is now sitting in the garage because of the economy we cannot afford to dish out over $1,500 for the repair.

Space available

Would be nice to have stow away room and a transmission that does not quit after only 70000 miles

Do NOT Depend on Ford
By Great Family Van NOT

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The first 2 yrs were great, no problems (even posted here in 08-2005). However, since early 2006 we have had the interior lights flashing, dealer can not fix and many many compliant logged with no known TSB or fix. (Replaced: light swithc 2x; both sliding doors and rear gate sensors) -- Now the intake manifold must be replaced due to a PLASTIC seal used that melts around 50- 70K miles. *We have 55K now. $100 part and 3 hrs of labor at your dealer of choice @ $120= total $460 before taxes. My dealer stated 4-6 vans a day must have this done, and Ford will not issue a recall as this is not a Safety issue. Just causes the van to suck more gas and fail emmissions.

VCP for the kids; the sliding doors allow the kids to get in and out w/out help.

Quality - Quality - Quality (it used to be job #1) Ford needs to stand behind their product -- another customer GONE!!! After 4 previous purchases, NEVER again.

Once they fixed the throttle sensor..
By David

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this van. Unfortunately, I had a high idling problem that went on for about 70,000 miles. Unexpectedly, it was diagnosed it as a bad throttle sensor. Once they replaced that, it's like a new car. I love it again. I've had a few "electricals." The driver side window motor had to be replaced. The "Check AdvanceTrac" comes on occasionally, but nothing is found to be wrong. Mileage is as stated, 18 to 24. I can live with that. I wish the seats were stow 'n go, but that's not a show stopper. They're heavy as heck, though. I've got 111,000 on it now and hope to get another 50-75,000. Bottom line, once the high idling was fixed, it's an nice car.

I like the 6-CD in dash. The heated seats are nice, too. The VCR is nice, but would have preferred a CD player, obviously. Aw, what the heck. I can hold on to VHS tapes for a few more years.

Nothing in particular.