Used 2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Time to sell it before too late
By G W

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used w/ @ 33,000 mi on it. The driver's side window motor went right away but the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now have @ 77,000 mi on it. Rear vent windows work & then don't, interior lights also flash on for no reason, now the head gasket is leaking- a seemingly common issue. I owned a '96 & it also was plagued w/ electrical glitches. I'm very nervous about the multiple listings of tranny failure as it has never seemed well mated to this engine - lots of downshifting when going up just moderate grades, not like the '96 but then Ford made this model @ 1000 lbs heavier. Think it's time to sell.

Honestly, there's no a lot of difference between Ford and other makes of minivans. Thought the interior was pretty well appointed.

Same old American car complaints- cut corners so they just don't hold up like the imports and then don't own up to obvious design defects. This model de-evolved. They cut their own throats- no for more Fords for me.

Great Van
By thundercloud

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used it already had 99,000 miles on it. It drives like a new one. So far the only mechanical issues I have had with it are the ones you would expect at that mileage such as brakes and belts. I am a tall, overwieght, disabled man. It's like whoever designed this van had people like me in mind. I have plenty of room and it is not a chore to drive it. In fact it has improved my mobility so much that last summer I lost 80 pounds. Now this van itself did not do that but it is one of the factors involved in my weight loss. To lose that amount of weight you have to be up and moving and this van helped me do that.

ROOMINESS

Cannot think of any but it does not matter because they stopped making this van.

Great family Van
By Deb

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Reliable, I have had this van since 2005, Have not had any problems with it. Oil Changes, brakes - that is all. The only reason I am looking for another vehicle is my childern are very tall and they no longer are confortable in the back seat.

I Was Surprised
By JETZcorp

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I told my parents I would like my first car to be a truck, they figured I was looking for a 4000lb thing and picked up this van. I thought it was going to be a terrible pig that got a gallon to the mile and turned with the precision of a brick. What I found instead was that, compared with my mom's Suzuki Grand Vitara, the beast had gobs of torque and an orgasmic sound above 4000 revs. My only complaints are the transmission (all cars should be manual) and the fact that it won't haul a motorcycle. In terms of reliability, the only worrying thing is a sort of clicking under the dash depending on the A/C setting. Take control of the shifter yourself and burnouts are easy.

I love the torquey, American power delivery and it has the best brake feel of anything I've driven. Listen, all you car engineers, learn from the Windstar's brakes, they're not on/off devices! Anyway, even though it is a minivan and intrinsically uncool, I've come to appreciate the tail lights!

The steering is too vague; even if you snap the wheel 90 degrees it will turn in a lazy fashion as if it were yawning. When you snap it back it feels like it's got a hinge in the middle. The steering wheel itself looks like a watermelon and it won't stay in 3rd gear more than 6 seconds.

I Like This Van
By NChawk

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van new in June 2003 with 5 miles on it. About half the time I've had it, there was a high idling, throttle problem. Once they figured out to replace the throttle sensor, and then the throttle assembly, it has run great....and I've got over 140,000 miles on it now. I had to replace the transmission at 112,000 miles, which cost about $3,300. It gets about 22 mpg on the highway, and 17 in town. It has all the whistles and bells and they all still work....although I wish they had had the DVD instead of the VCP. I'm happy with my Windstar and expect to keep it for another 3-4 years.

The cruise control is well-designed and simple to use. I also like the 6- CD player and Traction Control.

They could have improved the throttle assembly. It took about 70,000 miles to figure out what was causing the high idling.