Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Good vehicle that has a few problems.
By greg7100

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable, flexible van that serves us very well. We enjoy the mini van experience, but have been dissapointed with some major repair issues. Many brake problems and 2 failures, transmission was replaced at 144000 km, intake gaskets need to be replaced every 90000 km at about $700 per time. No other troubles aside from usual maintenance. The van is great for trips, you just never seem to run out of storage space. Towing my little utility trailer is a dream with the Windstar, you can hardly tell it is behind you.

Large flexible storage area and convenient controls.

I'm sure the newer self storing seats would look after the troulbe of removing seats to move large items. Improve brakes and intake gasket reliability. Improve base model handling.

Good Car
By Tom

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well, the good thing is we bought the car used, July of last year. Since the car has been around for a while the few problems we have had, we could find the solution easily over the internet. Anyways we got the car for $2,800 and it has paid for itself 10 times over since then. It has a very comfortable ride, and it's safe. This car has given us less problems than the 07 Camry we bought last year.

Cold air conditioning, great handling, lots of space, feels like an SUV rather than a van.

Better gas mileage

Another Terrible Ford Experience
By joneill

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford new and take great care of it.Several recalls then at 65K miles my rear axel cracked clean in half-rusted from inside and 1K for the fix. 3 months later the transmission died. Radiator also replaced-total 3,800 Now it is at 67K miles and took in today because radio won't turn off killing battery. Needs additional 500K for new fuse box and to patch leak. Will pick it up on Monday and take it as a trade in on a Toyota. Should have learned my lesson as my last Ford had to be towed out of my driveway at 80K. Husband's Ford needed a new engine at 55K miles. Have yet to have a good experience with Ford. I've finally learned my lesson!!

Color

Build a quality car that outlasts your competition. We would all like to support American companies, but Ford makes it very hard.

Best non soccer mom van ever!
By Jack

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Powerful, nice looking, easy seat removal, holds resale value, 18-24 mpg was right on, tires wear great versus a lot of vans that wear out front tires. Lot of pick up and very comfortable. Radio iffy so replace with aftermarket. Otherwise a 10!

Easy access of options, power and pick up, great looking silver color.

Different radio.

Transmission, O2 sensor, doors, problems
By Mikeeeee

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, an attractive, comfortable van. Gas consumption is ok for a van. Some nice options available. Has plenty of power, compared to other small vans.

Power sliding doors are nice but frequently break down. Dual AC controls are good.

Better build quality. Frequent repairs are needed for leaky intake manifold gaskets, causing "check engine soon" light for O2 sensors. Power sliding door has frequent breakdowns. Transmissions have many breakdowns reported. Repairs are expensive!