Used 2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Quality doesn't = American anymore
By RG

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never owned a Ford before and I will probably never own one again. American cars are unreliable compared to Japanese brands. No big issues with the car so far, but the Engine light has gone on and supposedly it is a problem w/an oxygen sensor, spark plugs or vacuum leak. Trying to fix it yourself is impossible and Dealer wants $90 just for diagnostic! Guzzled gas before and now with sensor/leak problem it's consuming $10 a day just to drive around the corner! Not a lot of road noise, but the vehicle shakes terribly. It feels like it's going to break apart on the highway. Doors are quirky and won't unlock w/keyless when too cold. I'll buy a Japanese or Euro make at trade-in.

Leather interior, child rear view mirror, adjustable seats and gas pedal. Automatic doors.

Make it lighter, stronger, reliable and more economic in fuel mileage.

Loved my van
By Linda Studer

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van new and it has been an excellent vehicle. The electric doors were a great feature new but after a few years they began to not work all of the time. Last year at 160000 had trouble with the break light, engine light coming on and it has stayed on. I would still be driving today at 209000 miles if I hadn't encountered a deer.

Seat belt was very comfortable. I wish all vehicles would pay attention to this feature. I also loved the indicator telling me when the pressure in the tires changed.

NO PROBLEM HERE 186 K LATER
By Steve

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Thats right I got almost 186,000 miles on my van.I won't bore you with details but I got maybe about $600 in mechanical maintenance in it.Also Needed the usual stuff (brakes ,oil changes,tires).I can tell you this much, the biggest secret that I learned from my brotherinlaw is change the transmission fluids early .These ford transmissions are delicate, needless to say I have changed the transmission fluid twice and thinking about doing it again(Yup Original Trans).It did need a small map sensor ($60) and a coil pack I think they are about $80.It has yet to get a wheel alignment still drives straight .I drive this car all over united states and I haul heavy car parts with it !

Powerful engine, good gas mpg (about 25 no load highway, heavy load still 20 mpg!) fantastic ice cold air, comfortable ride, bought at 56,000 miles and still going at 186,000 miles

Odd electrical glitches on dash board come and go like the wind. White paint defective and chips easily avoid White. Heavy seats to take in and out.

Cool van but so unreliable
By Mustang Dude

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we had this van for 8 years , it got us around the east coast of the USA quite well until after 30000 miles, the tranny went, ecu and oxygen sensors multiple times. I'm never buying a FORD again, until they fix these problems i owned a Camry for 16 years and nothing besides the normal wear and tear. Going to stick with Japanese cars for awhile sorry Ford. Except for there mustangs, mostly problem free.

adjustable pedals, keyless entry on door, independent fog lights and comfort.

transmission, electrical problems and ford service quality there so damn rude.

Great van with a few problems
By Lou

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

At 83000 miles, have replaced the intake manifold gasket, $1000, and ABS unit, $600. On second set of tires. Father-in-law is a car nut and says it rides like a limo, very comfortable for long trips between Houston/Denver. Styling is nice, no paint problems. Gas mileage has consistently attained the 18/24 rating. I drive conservatively and do all maintenance, so can't explain problems others have had.

Came in handy on a remodel when I needed to transport 4'x8' sheetrock/plywood in the back of van. Forget the tent! When camping fits a full size air mattress in back with seats removed.

Looking forward to next generation with seats that fold into floorboard and new MP3 players / DVDs, GPS but that's about it.